New HTPC Build Suggestions (1K Budget)

I am building a new HTPC in the next week or so and looking for suggestions on every component of the build.

My budget is around $1,000, though a little more or less isn't a big deal.

The system will be used to streaming internet video/TV, watching HD (using XBMC) and possibly 3D movies and surfing the net and possibly some very light gaming like WoW.

I am really hoping for suggestions on parts that will help the computer be as small and as quiet as possible, this HTPC would be on all the time so I am aiming for the components to be able to handle that.

I will be playing all media over my home network or the internet, so only one boot SSD drive should be necessary. I am open to any suggestions on any part of what the build could be, including accessories like the remote etc.

I appreciate any suggestions you guys have!
20 answers Last reply
More about htpc build suggestions budget
  1. Well the "PC" side is much easier but for the "HT" side

    1. Do u intend to integrate DVR/Tuners with this machine?
    2. Audio : external receiver via optical/coax/hdmi?
  2. this should be near silent. the video card is silent

    you can use ultra low noise adaptors if you find the cooler too loud

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dpkD
  3. I would definitely go with an AMD APU. I think it can handle WOW and that way you won't have to buy a discreet gfx card so you could build a very tiny system. I just purchased micro-atx case Silverstone grandia gd04S for my new heavy gaming/HTPC build. I think it all comes to how small a build you want....???
  4. you do know that APUs are pretty weak in pretty much anything other than ok level graphics
  5. did you read that all he's gonna do is media playback??
  6. even if no graphics card, it would be more than enough for media playback
  7. did you not see that i put a passive 7750 in my build?
  8. yes, but not for wow and if the OP was concerned about the size of a build so.... AMD APU. Sry bigtroll but your build isn't optimal for his needs. :(
  9. You should wait for a Trinity ITX motherboard and/or Nettop barebones ... could be a few months, but it will be well worth the wait.

    Otherwise, you came to the right place :D

    The Zotac ZBOX NANO AD10U AMD Hudson M1 is a great XBMC *Nix box with which to play around.

    Lookee here --> AMD A8-3870K with ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s: $197

    With $125 toward an SSD and 2x4GB of RAMs, you're in for $325 either way with a lot of upside in your budget.

    But ... Trinity/FM2 will slobber-knock the Llano. It's the real deal.
  10. +1 wisecracker.

    That's just about the same build I was about to recommend. With mini-itx board you'll get it "as small as possible". You can save the rest of the budget for a BIG-ASS TV :D
  11. I build custom HTPCs into old NES cases justin, cause you can pack a serious punch in the mini ITX form factor, let me know if you are interested.
  12. naama said:
    +1 wisecracker.

    That's just about the same build I was about to recommend. With mini-itx board you'll get it "as small as possible". You can save the rest of the budget for a BIG-ASS TV :D


    [:lutfij:4] HD projector

    The A8-3870K with ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 is a tremendous build -- stick a WiFi USB nub on it and boogie on.

    The thing is, though, Trinity/FM2 quite possibly will allow a drop-in upgrade to Kaveri next Summer -- that 32nm 2nd-Gen Piledriver cores with a 28nm GCN GPU.

    Or, an on-die HD7750 :o
  13. vrumor said:
    I build custom HTPCs into old NES cases justin, cause you can pack a serious punch in the mini ITX form factor, let me know if you are interested.



    cool, man! ;)
  14. vrumor said:
    I build custom HTPCs into old NES cases justin, cause you can pack a serious punch in the mini ITX form factor, let me know if you are interested.


    naama said:
    cool, man! ;)


    Just about anything a few inches tall and 8- x 8-inches in the clear can be modded for an ITX mobo, and beyond that design standards have united VESA mounting with ITX, meaning that a 200x200 mount (or 8- x 8-inches) exists on the back of every flat screen.

    So, potentially, with a Trinity/FM2 ITX mounted on the back of your TV not only might you play media and game, but also push 2 other monitors in Eyefinity with displayport.

    And interestingly enough, three HD flat screens in Eyefinity are roughly equivalent to the Academy standard CinemaScope aspect ratio.

    Just a brief matter of time before zero-bezel is mainstream and we are jamming on 5000x1080 wide-screen in Eyefinity :D from a little box on the back of your TV
  15. batuchka said:
    Well the "PC" side is much easier but for the "HT" side

    1. Do u intend to integrate DVR/Tuners with this machine?
    2. Audio : external receiver via optical/coax/hdmi?


    Sorry to you and everyone for the late replies here, life got in the way for a couple weeks there.


    I will not be using any dvr functionality but I am open to using tuners, I just never have and am not sure how they work. Does a tuner run off ones cable somehow? Because since I built my previous HTPC I have not had cable.
  16. TheBigTroll said:
    this should be near silent. the video card is silent

    you can use ultra low noise adaptors if you find the cooler too loud

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dpkD


    I really like the build you have there, the idea of a video card without a fan sounds great. The only part I do not like is the case, I was envisioning something that looks more like a dvd player or receiver and less like a computer. Any other cases you can recommend?

    Also, will heat ever be an issue here? Even if I were to leave the HTPC running for a couple days at a time?
  17. naama said:
    I would definitely go with an AMD APU. I think it can handle WOW and that way you won't have to buy a discreet gfx card so you could build a very tiny system. I just purchased micro-atx case Silverstone grandia gd04S for my new heavy gaming/HTPC build. I think it all comes to how small a build you want....???


    I am open to using AMD, though I never have before. I do want as small a build as possible.
  18. naama said:
    yes, but not for wow and if the OP was concerned about the size of a build so.... AMD APU. Sry bigtroll but your build isn't optimal for his needs. :(


    Yea, I definitely would like something that can handle WoW, at least when all graphics settings are on minimum. But at the same time if this will dictate that I have a much larger or noisier or hotter build I am willing to forgo this requirement.
  19. Wisecracker said:
    You should wait for a Trinity ITX motherboard and/or Nettop barebones ... could be a few months, but it will be well worth the wait.

    Otherwise, you came to the right place :D

    The Zotac ZBOX NANO AD10U AMD Hudson M1 is a great XBMC *Nix box with which to play around.

    Lookee here --> AMD A8-3870K with ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s: $197

    With $125 toward an SSD and 2x4GB of RAMs, you're in for $325 either way with a lot of upside in your budget.

    But ... Trinity/FM2 will slobber-knock the Llano. It's the real deal.


    Sounds awesome but I definitely cannot wait a few months, my other system is dying on me.
  20. justin544 said:
    Sorry to you and everyone for the late replies here, life got in the way for a couple weeks there.


    I will not be using any dvr functionality but I am open to using tuners, I just never have and am not sure how they work. Does a tuner run off ones cable somehow? Because since I built my previous HTPC I have not had cable.


    Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card for Watching Digital Cable TV with a cablecard from your local provider.

    Otherwise, for 'over-the-air' reception, you simply connect your antenna lead to the rear of the tuner card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Components Systems Product