Sign in with
Your question

PSU giving me grief. need help and advice

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2012 5:06:02 PM

Hi

I have an ANTEC Earthwatts 500D (500w) Power supply that will be taking the place of a DYNEX 520w PSU currently in my system..

Heres the problem

With the Antec PSU, i did a paperclip test to check to see if it worked.

With no load the unit powered on and the fan spun around twice then the whole thing DIED.

I later decided to add a Case Fan to it and see what would happen:
With 1 Case Fan the PSU powered on and ran the fan for about 15 seconds then died.

I Later added a second case fan.
This time the PSU powered on and ran both fans without a problem and didnt cut out on me.
HOWEVER, there is still a clicking noise coming from the PSU Fan that has clicked throughout all my tests.

My QUESTION:

1. Would this PSU be safe to put inside my rig?

It seems to run well with a moderate load.

My theory is that being that the Unit is an EARTHWATTS, Perhaps it needs a specific amount of load to function to save energy and whatnot.

PLease reply with your advice and opinions, ill read them all

a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2012 10:14:47 PM

No. Any power supply will supply whatever load demands your system makes big or small right up to it's load limit in watts. It either works or doesn't. Some are noisier than others. I suspect you've got a short somewhere. I would remove the motherboard and check under and around it for any loose screws, case standoffs, or backplate metal touching ports, etc. and remount the board. Also secure the extra ps wires carefully with tie downs and be sure no connectors have any stress points when connected to the board or drives.
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:01:35 PM

bump
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2012 11:23:13 PM

^best you avoid bumping the threads, I believe the moderator locks it when you do so...
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:10:24 AM

^So true. I already deleted your first bump post yet you bump again.
m
l
!