Solved

Unknown DHCP clients in D-link DIR-615

When I go into the Network Settings, and the end of the page I find a list named "Number of Dynamic DHCP clients: 7". As far as I know, I should only see 4, all 4 laptops; however, I see 2 UNKNOWN entries in this list, and one name "Macondo". Each of these entries have an option (a link) saying "Revoke" and other "Reserve". I am just wonder if these entries are intruders in my home network. What should I do? I am afraid to break my internet connection. By the way, I set up every single one of my family 4 laptops at home with a WPA-PSK using a very long key. I would appreciate all comments. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about unknown dhcp clients link
  1. Should I implement MAC address filtering on top of WPA-PSK security? I hope someone will answer this one question at least. Thanks.
  2. Easy to find out if it's your computers or now. Do an ipconfig on the PCs, match them to the IPs in the DHCP list. Anything not yours you can kick off.

If you put in the MAC filtering it will help, wireless security is not too hard to crack.
  3. hang-the-9 said:
    Easy to find out if it's your computers or now. Do an ipconfig on the PCs, match them to the IPs in the DHCP list. Anything not yours you can kick off.

If you put in the MAC filtering it will help, wireless security is not too hard to crack.

Are you saying that WPA-PSK with a long key is not secured enough? I thought it was WEP security which was weak.
  4. wpa can be hacked easily,mac filtering is the best solution if you have problems with the encryption
  5. yimmi said:
    wpa can be hacked easily,mac filtering is the best solution if you have problems with the encryption

are you sure of what you are stating? according to some reading on the NET, it seems that WPA can be hacked but not by everyone. it does not seem to be an easy hack as you make me believe by your statement above. i cannot use WPA2 because some of my device will not be able to use my wireless connection.
  6. Take a look at what I read here:

Quote:
    WPA-based encryption, or Wi-Fi Protected Access, is similar in theory to WEP but doesn’t use a static network key, but rather a “Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP),” which changes keys with every data packet sent or received. This by itself makes WPA a very secure method for wireless networks, but the problem is that in most home-based environments, a “shared pass phrase” is used to access the network. If this pass phrase is any word found in the dictionary, a hacker can crack it through what is known as a “brute force dictionary attack.” While it may take a long time, it can be done.

A longer explanation is given here How WPA wireless networks are hacked, and how to protect yourself - February 7, 2009

According to the above explanation, one way to defeat my key will be to use brute force dictionary attack, but my key which is about 15 characters long and randomly selected characters will be kind of hard to crack with a "brute force dictionary attack" unless there are other methods, which I don't know.

I think I should not be so paranoid about the security of my little intranet at home. The article goes on saying that there is a WPA (RADIUS) version which is more secure than the one I use, but I don't think my router has the RADIUS version available. Even if it were available, I am sure that most of my devices will not be able to get wireless connection using the RADIUS version of WPA.
  7. Best answer
    "I think I should not be so paranoid about the security of my little intranet at home. "
    Of course,I just said nothing is more secure than mac filtering.Also as you say it is just an internet connection nothing more.
  8. Best answer selected by orestesdd.
  9. yimmi said:
    "I think I should not be so paranoid about the security of my little intranet at home. "
    Of course,I just said nothing is more secure than mac filtering.Also as you say it is just an internet connection nothing more.

I think it is OK the way I have it. Maybe later on I will upgrade to WPA2 since according to the article it is the one used by the US Government even though I don't trust any government at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

DHCP D-Link Networking