Sign in with
Your question

Arctic 7 Cooler Running hot?

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2012 7:18:11 PM

Hey guys, about a week or two ago I was playing Borderlands 2, and after 20 minutes of gameplay, my temperatures had raised to:

core 1: 73
core 2: 75
core 3: 75
core 4: 73

I don't feel particularly comfortable with these temperatures to be perfectly honest, and as I was running a stock CPU fan, I decided to buy a Arctic 7 Cooler Rev. 2 - for a piece of mind. However, after installing the Arctic 7, my temperatures have rose even higher! After an hour of playing Rift I was getting:

Core 1: 78
Core 2: 82
Core 3: 83
Core 4: 80

I have no idea why my temperatures have rose or how I can lower them, as far as I can tell, the cooler is fitted correctly! My CPU is a i5-2320 running at 3ghz, and my case is a Coolermaster Elite 335U.

A bit baffled,
MJS
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 8:06:38 PM

The T-case for your processor is around 73 degrees, that being said..yes your temperatures are quite on the hot end.

Several questions:

How much thermal paste did you put?
How is the airflow in your computer case?
Any obstructions around the CPU heatsink?
Is the cooler installed correctly? Does it sit firm on the installed location? Or does it slide or wiggle a bit?

Lastly, for the price of the Freezer 7, you could have gone a 120mm cooler that would cost less and would fit as long as you have no side panel fan. Such can be the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO.
December 12, 2012 8:29:11 PM

socialfox said:
The T-case for your processor is around 73 degrees, that being said..yes your temperatures are quite on the hot end.

Several questions:

How much thermal paste did you put? - around the size of a pea!
How is the airflow in your computer case? - My case has a front fan and 2 mesh panels on the side for added air flow and mesh floor panels.
Any obstructions around the CPU heatsink? Not that I can see no, it fitted pretty easily with no fight at all really.
Is the cooler installed correctly? Does it sit firm on the installed location? Or does it slide or wiggle a bit? It doesn't move atall, static as static can be!

Lastly, for the price of the Freezer 7, you could have gone a 120mm cooler that would cost less and would fit as long as you have no side panel fan. Such can be the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO.

Thanks for the reply! I have answered your questions within the quote!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 8:32:16 PM

MrJohnSherry said:
Thanks for the reply! I have answered your questions within the quote!

Could be something wrong with the CPU cooler, switch back to the stock cooler and compare the temperatures once again if not too much trouble for you...

Did you also clean off the old thermal paste?
December 12, 2012 8:43:13 PM

socialfox said:
Could be something wrong with the CPU cooler, switch back to the stock cooler and compare the temperatures once again if not too much trouble for you...

Did you also clean off the old thermal paste?

Yeah I cleaned off the thermal paste, and made sure I got it all with some alcohol and q tips! I will try that in the morning mate, 11pm here, but will let you know of the results! Thanks for your replies so far!
December 13, 2012 6:31:44 AM

Did a quick wee check today and decided before I started disconnecting things, I would turn it around so the fan was facing the exhaust fan. Here are the results:

Prime 95 Test ( 5minutes) - http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/Navas07/STR-1...

1 Minute after - http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/Navas07/MinLa...

I am really confused, I was always told it shouldn't be facing the exhaust fan?? I also disabled the q-fan control in my bios though so maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe I would get even better results if I did have it facing the other way?

For contrast, last night, while it was facing the other way (away from exhaust fan, and q fan not disabled) Each core reached 84oC within 2minutes of the primre 95 test.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 9:44:01 AM

Okay the prime 95 temperatures in the very low 60's is very good from what you had before...now about the fan setup on the heatsink. Is the CPU heatsink fan pushing air through the heatsink and the exhaust fan is throwing it out through the back? Or is it installed so the CPU heatsink fan is drawing air while the exhaust fan is trying to throw out the air? Typically if this is one fan on the heatsink, it should be facing this way:

* I know this is another heatsink, but it's just to show you how the fan should look like..

So basically, your cpu heatsink fan should be blowing through the heatsink, drawing away the air and feeding it to the exhaust fan for optimal temperatures.

Now I believe none of this applies if you were running the stock heatsink since it draws air in another way...

Edit: If your cpu fan is in the other way, verify that the exhaust fan is NOT orientated to be an intake, that may be why it's giving you better temperatures...
December 13, 2012 9:58:32 AM

I have no idea how I would go about verifying that, I could take a pic for you if it would help?
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 10:00:24 AM

yes that will help greatly (best if you hurry, gotta leave for school in an hour).
December 13, 2012 10:01:11 AM

Ok, be back in 5minutes with the picture
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 10:06:27 AM

MrJohnSherry said:
Ok, be back in 5minutes with the picture

Okay, make sure to grab two pictures, one of the heatsink and one of the exhaust fan. I can tell if its installed as an intake or exhaust for the case fan.
December 13, 2012 10:34:40 AM

Going to be a wee bit later on mate, bluetooth is playing up now, grrr lol I have to go to work now, so I will add it later! Sorry!
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 10:36:22 AM

MrJohnSherry said:
Going to be a wee bit later on mate, bluetooth is playing up now, grrr lol I have to go to work now, so I will add it later! Sorry!

No worries friend, It would be better if it was later since I would have no need to rush in order to be on time for school, that leads to a better answer from me.

Teacher has been scolding me lately for coming a few minutes late..... :lol: 
December 13, 2012 10:55:44 AM

socialfox said:
No worries friend, It would be better if it was later since I would have no need to rush in order to be on time for school, that leads to a better answer from me.

Teacher has been scolding me lately for coming a few minutes late..... :lol: 

Haha! Yeah, know that feel mate haha!

Thanks for your help so far anyway!
December 13, 2012 6:00:35 PM

Looking at that pic, you need to reverse the direction of the heatsink, as it is blowing air back into the case rather than towards the exhaust fan, which is installed the correct way.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 6:11:44 PM

^yes like I stated above, the fan should be on the other side blowing warm air out of the heatsink and feeding it to exhaust fan...not back in the case.
December 13, 2012 8:15:27 PM

Ok, no problem! So why has it all of a sudden started to do its job? Because I disabled the q-fan in the bios?
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 8:23:22 PM

MrJohnSherry said:
Ok, no problem! So why has it all of a sudden started to do its job? Because I disabled the q-fan in the bios?

Q-fan? You should set it to turbo if you want the max speed of your fan...
December 13, 2012 8:25:51 PM

socialfox said:
Q-fan? You should set it to turbo if you want the max speed of your fan...

I tried that yesterday and didnt seem to make a difference! will try it tomorrow when I re-attach the fan
December 14, 2012 11:05:11 AM

Just reattached, reapplied thermal paste, bios set q fan to turbo and ran prime95 for 5-6minutes, here are the results:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/Navas07/Test_...

I think its safe to say, problem is now solved! I will try it again with normal but if it doesnt cut it I will just revert to turbo again! Thanks for all the help guys, its very much appreciated!
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2012 5:35:44 PM

Hey, glad we were able to solve your problem! Send a PM if you have any other questions to me.

- Have a great day :) 
!