Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2012 10:58:41 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: Trying to keep it as low as possible £400 max at the minute (Excluding monitors and extras)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming For games like Day-z, will be mainly used for gaming and media

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, dual monitors

Parts to Upgrade: Complete new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.amazon.co.uk

Parts Preferences: not fussed

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: will be playing games and i can upgrade overtime e.g buy a gpu overtime, Is there enough power to add a gpu and will this MOBO work with the case

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my computer is 7 years old

Motherboard: Asrock-Socket-A75M-HVS-Micro-Atx-Motherboard

Processor:AMD A8-3850 Quad-Core Processor - 2.9GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, Socket FM1, APU, Radeon HD 6550D

Graphics: Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express, AMD CrossFireX Technology)

Memory: G-Skill-PC3-10600-1333MHz-Desktop-channel

Storage: Western-Digital-Caviar-SATAIII-Internal

Optical: LiteOn-IHAS124-19C-Internal-Software-Included

Power: OCZ-500W-ModXStream-Power-Supply

Case:NZXT-Source-210-Elite-White

Monitor:Asus 21.5"-VE228H-Widescreen-Monitor

Speakers:Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System

Mouse:Gigabyte ECO600 Wireless Mouse

Keyboard:Saitek-Wireless-Illuminated-Trackball-Multifunction

Mousepad:Belkin WaveRest Gel Mouse Pad

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)

More about : time build

July 30, 2012 11:46:30 AM

If you mean play BF3 properly on low settings you mean be susceptable to screen freezes, system hangs and obscene ammounts of artifacts. Then yes, this will be perfect for gaming. - these built-in graphics chips are NOT designed for gaming, nor dual monitors.

You are going to need an after market CPU cooler. - AMD tend to run hot, and if your going to try to use it for gaming then it will run hotter.

Not sure why your going for a micro atx board , they are for little PCs, the tiny ones. go for a full atx board.

Black editions are only worth it if your going to overclock - you are wasting money otherwise.

My advice, go full atx board, get a regular (not black edition) CPU, only buy 1 monitor for now and get a dedicated graphics card.
July 30, 2012 1:05:39 PM

get the vs228h-p instead. run only one monitor.

@hilltopmonk: most apu boards are micro-atx
Related resources
July 30, 2012 1:07:00 PM

you can wait for the future and get amd's next gen apu: trinity

the next gen chips have the graphical power of a 6670 and perform like i3s
July 30, 2012 1:11:25 PM

Why would you recommend running only one monitor thats 25", The reason i want 2 is so that i can play my xbox on one and pc on the other then when im not using the xbox i can flick back to using it as a second screenand do you think it would be worth the wait for trinity? Also when are trinity apu's set for release?
July 30, 2012 1:16:39 PM

This site may help - though I don't know if they (all the companies) ship to the UK.

http://pcpartpicker.com

My thoughts:

I'm a noob with one build - it works and I'm happy. You will want a dedicated GPU for gaming. If you are not overclocking CPU fan should work just fine. Also, if not overclocking no point in getting a Black Edition. Case wise - you may consider Cooler Master HAF 912 - cheaper. Also check Newegg.com for reviews for your potential buys. There's very good info on those reviews with respect to what people have used and have had problems with.

For the build itself - youtube has 2 videos (parts 2&3) on how to make all the connections and Win 7 install. Was nice to watch while I built it.

Cheers !
July 30, 2012 1:21:38 PM

a taigy hun said:
Why would you recommend running only one monitor thats 25", The reason i want 2 is so that i can play my xbox on one and pc on the other then when im not using the xbox i can flick back to using it as a second screenand do you think it would be worth the wait for trinity? Also when are trinity apu's set for release?

single monitor makes more sense at this budget level. the monitor i recommended is 21.5inch just like the one you had. only difference is the one i picked is newer and thiner

trinity apu are already released just not in their boxed form.
July 30, 2012 1:25:23 PM

You should really re think the APU Idea. The on-die graphics will be useless if you get a graphics card past i believe a 6670? It is one of the low end graphics cards for sure, and using those in tandem is suspect, prone to driver problems and doesnt always kick in so well for all games. You should look into getting an i3 and then get a graphics card with that, that path will much better serve your gaming needs.

If it was my choice and your willing to shell out another $50 or so, get the i5 hands down. But now im going way over your budget. Think over that APU, it's still only Llano btw and not trinity.
July 30, 2012 1:27:01 PM

Also do you think this is a good build and worth it for the price? I might just stick with the Amd a8 and get a GPU around christmas if i really need it as im only trying to get into pc gaming and the A8 seems sutiable enough for mid level gaming
July 30, 2012 1:30:22 PM

gilgamex said:
You should really re think the APU Idea. The on-die graphics will be useless if you get a graphics card past i believe a 6670? It is one of the low end graphics cards for sure, and using those in tandem is suspect, prone to driver problems and doesnt always kick in so well for all games. You should look into getting an i3 and then get a graphics card with that, that path will much better serve your gaming needs.

If it was my choice and your willing to shell out another $50 or so, get the i5 hands down. But now im going way over your budget. Think over that APU, it's still only Llano btw and not trinity.

What MOBO would you recommend to replace the one i have already chosen and what model of i5? Also can you see any fault with this build or does it look decent enough?
July 30, 2012 1:31:52 PM

gilgamex said:

it will play you games nicely at medium or low settings. slap a 6670 in the future and you get hybird crossfire and you get high settings
July 30, 2012 1:38:20 PM

as stated by pretty much everyone here, integrated graphics are useless for gaming. even getting a £30-£40 graphics card is better than the onboard ones. seriously, there is no point trying to play games on these chips.
July 30, 2012 1:38:50 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it will play you games nicely at medium or low settings. slap a 6670 in the future and you get hybird crossfire and you get high settings

This builds sounds like it would suit me perfectly then so i should lose one of the monitor's and get the asus VS228H-P monitor, get a 6670, get a full atx board, and get the 6850 2.9ghz rather than the 6870k black?

Also when i use a graphics card aswell as the APU would this improve graphics as it would be sort of acting as dual graphics cards? or would only one of them be used?
July 30, 2012 1:48:59 PM

just get a regular micro-atx board for the apu. you wont be expanding much anyways so theres no point of atx

yeah get the a8 3850 and a 6670 1gb. you can then configure hybrid crossfire and you get pretty decent performance (although bf3 at high is out of the question)
July 30, 2012 1:51:33 PM

i think ill go with the full atx board i found one that is meant to run well with llano apu's Asus F1A75-V PRO ATX FM1 Motherboard, also i read the apu on its own can run on mid-high settings at 30fps
July 30, 2012 1:54:43 PM

get the micro. they do the same thing and the only thing tht you will ever put is a graphics card or a wifi card
July 30, 2012 1:57:51 PM

i just found a mobo for about £30.00 more which perfectly suits my needs as it has all usb3.0 connectors and looks pretty futureproof which is what i want from my mobo as all i will upgrade is cpu,gpu,ram,extra hdd etc
July 30, 2012 2:02:28 PM

you cant upgrade cpu. fm1 is at its end of its lifespan

ddr4 will replace ddr3 by 2014-2015

future gpus will be bottlenecked by the cpu
July 30, 2012 2:02:43 PM

so whats your build so far?
July 30, 2012 2:05:40 PM

hilltopmonk said:
so whats your build so far?

his or mine?

his: look at first post
July 30, 2012 2:37:45 PM

TheBigTroll said:
just get a regular micro-atx board for the apu. you wont be expanding much anyways so theres no point of atx

yeah get the a8 3850 and a 6670 1gb. you can then configure hybrid crossfire and you get pretty decent performance (although bf3 at high is out of the question)

TheBigTroll said:
get the micro. they do the same thing and the only thing tht you will ever put is a graphics card or a wifi card

im trying to fix my build based on the the info im receiving , should i just stick with the fm1 board and upgrade it in the future its only £45 so its no biggie really
July 30, 2012 2:46:59 PM
July 30, 2012 3:27:48 PM

Thats the build currently added in all the bits and bobs to give you an idead of what im buying worked the whole lot at £609 which is a reasonable price for me id rather not go over what do yous think of the build shall i go for it?

I can always upgrade my mobo when i decide to upgrade my cpu and mobo
July 31, 2012 4:33:56 PM

a taigy hun said:
Thats the build currently added in all the bits and bobs to give you an idead of what im buying worked the whole lot at £609 which is a reasonable price for me id rather not go over what do yous think of the build shall i go for it?

I can always upgrade my mobo when i decide to upgrade my cpu and mobo

Yes but the thing is you also have to upgrade your GPU. That build is pretty decent for moderate gaming but it has no future growth path whatsoever, you will have build pretty much a whole new computer, keep the ram and psu, but the cpu, mobo & gpu will all need an upgrade. So unless you dont want to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years you are not really getting your money's worth.

It all depends on if you want to concentrate resources into PC gaming. It's not a bad build by any means but it has nowhere to go from there internally.

On a side note, the faster RAM you can get for your APU the better, it will prevent bottlenecks more and get some more frames, but if it'll cost you more than an extra 15$-20 dont bother, stick with the ram you chose.
July 31, 2012 6:02:40 PM

the APU isnt even powerful at all. why bother that much with the higher ram speed(unless they arent that much more for 1600mhz)
August 1, 2012 1:02:33 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the APU isnt even powerful at all. why bother that much with the higher ram speed(unless they arent that much more for 1600mhz)

Exactly
!