Closed Solved

Amd fx 8150 overheating

My cpu has been overheating to the point of shutdown I've changed the thermal paste 3 times using AS5. I've made sure the heatsink is seated properly and the fan is spinning in the bios the temps can reach up to 70c if i just let it sit there for about 10 minutes.I'm using the stock fan and all stock bios settings

Specs
CPU-amd fx 8150 3.6 ghz

GPU-gtx 550 ti

PSU- xtremegear 750w

Motherboard-ASUS m5a97

Case-thermal take commander ms-i id
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8150 overheating
  1. How much of thermal paste did you put? Also did you alter anything with the CPU voltage? Are there any obstructions blocking the fan for the stock cooler?

    Too much thermal paste is bad...
    Check to see if the cooler slides or wiggles when installed...if it does we have an issue. Also any major scratches on the base of the heatsink?
  2. socialfox said:
    How much of thermal paste did you put? Also did you alter anything with the CPU voltage? Are there any obstructions blocking the fan for the stock cooler?

    Too much thermal paste is bad...
    Check to see if the cooler slides or wiggles when installed...if it does we have an issue. Also any major scratches on the base of the heatsink?

    I used the grain of rice method and the cpu voltage in the bios is at 1.3v. And the heatsink barely budges when i wiggle it.No scratches either, nor anything blocking the fan.
  3. Shimundo said:
    I used the grain of rice method and the cpu voltage in the bios is at 1.3v. And the heatsink barely budges when i wiggle it.No scratches either, nor anything blocking the fan.


    You happen to have a thermal gun? If so measure the heatsink's temperatures or any exposed part of the processor, it wont give you the processor temperatures but something around it. Or just touch the heatsink with your finger (not into the fan) and feel if it's really that hot. Also do you know the RPM the fan is spinning at?

    It could be a defective motherboard temperature sensor since you:
    a) Applied the proper amount of thermal paste (rice grain size)
    b) Made sure the heatsink is secure
    c)The fan is connected and running
    d) No scratches on the heatsink
    e) Made sure no obstructions to the fan

    Technically, with all those done above, you should be expecting normal temperatures.
  4. No thermal gun but i can feel it being hot and normally when im gaming the fan runs around 3500 rpms.
  5. How is the airflow in the case? If you can provide a picture of the computer case (the insides).

    Okay, download this program called HWmonitor and take a look at the core temperatures and post it up here if possible.
  6. Can't take a picture but i have a link of the case and i have 1 120mm fan in the front, the exaust in the back, and a fan right where my gpu is.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133190
  7. Okay download HWmonitor:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    And let me know the temperatures or get a printscreen uploaded on to here.
  8. I suggest you fill the empty fan holes to get more airflow. One exhaust fan is just not enough for a decent system. I would also invest in an aftermarket cooler such as the CoolerMaster 212 EVO.
  9. i agree, using more than one fan will help, u can also get a coolermaster 212 evo for under 35$, and check if you have the latest bios somethimes can give wrong temperature, also its possible ur thermal sensor on ur motherboard is defective, so if after doing all the above still show high temps id contact ur motherboard company to get an rma possibly if its causing u further problems
  10. +1^ to both posters, extra exhaust fans and intakes will help as well. If you can get the fans, put two fans as exhaust on the top of the case, you can also put a fan on the bottom of the case as an intake.
  11. socialfox said:
    Okay download HWmonitor:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    And let me know the temperatures or get a printscreen uploaded on to here.


    http://imgur.com/PFuVR That's idle btw
  12. Best answer
    Interesting, your core temperatures are a bit on the *warm* side but the CPU temperature is hot. Most people say to worry about the core temperatures..

    Quite a gap between the core temperatures and the CPU, take a look at mine:


    Can you invest in a new CPU cooler? The Hyper 212 EVO performs just as good as the Kuhler 620 (I have that in my build, and as you can see the temperatures are quite good).
  13. socialfox said:
    Interesting, your core temperatures are a bit on the *warm* side but the CPU temperature is hot. Most people say to worry about the core temperatures..

    Quite a gap between the core temperatures and the CPU, take a look at mine:
    http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s523/socialfox1/Temp.jpg

    Can you invest in a new CPU cooler? The Hyper 212 EVO performs just as good as the Kuhler 620 (I have that in my build, and as you can see the temperatures are quite good).

    Do you think the hyper 212 evo will fit in my case?
  14. Shimundo said:
    Do you think the hyper 212 evo will fit in my case?


    Yes, it should fit just fine, your case is nearly 8 inches wide where as the Hyper 212 is around 160mm in height.
  15. Best answer selected by Shimundo.
  16. socialfox said:
    Yes, it should fit just fine, your case is nearly 8 inches wide where as the Hyper 212 is around 160mm in height.



    WHY AMD is not providing the heavy cpu cooler many of my friends are having same overheating problem
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product