RAM CPU cooler compatibility

r0ck095

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hey guys, before I splash out the money on a CPU cooler, I would appreciate knowing if it fits with my RAM.
I'm looking at getting the Coolermaster hyper 612 PWM, and I'm not sure if it will fit over my g.skill ripjaws x RAM.
If it makes a difference, the motherboard is the Asus Sabertooth z77, and the case is the Thermaltake Overseer RX-I.
Cheers

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Is your RAM low profile, or does it have the big heat spreaders on top?

If it's low profile, it will fit. Otherwise, it may not. For reference, I have high profile RAM on my Asus P8Z77-V (which has the same relative RAM and CPU positions as the Sabertooth), and using just two sticks in the 1 and 3 slot, there's room for a CM 212 EVO. However if I had four sticks, it wouldn't fit, or I'd have to put the fan on the other side of the heat sink.

CoolerMaster 212 Evo, 212 Plus and HyperN520s I can confirm will work with Corsair Vengeance high profile (which is pretty high, taller than G.Skill ripjaws) regardless of what motherboard they are installed together on or how many DIMM slots on the board are populated.

If you fool with it, or install them properly you will find they do work together Jmer.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

I'm not too familiar with the Sabertooth MB, but wouldn't you at least have to move the fan to the other side of the heat sink for a "pull" configuration using all 4 DIMM slots with high profile?

The direction of the fan airflow should be pointing to the back of the case, so that the fan on the back of the chassis can further pull that hot air outside of the case with 212 coolers.

You shouldn't have to move anything, it looks like a tight fit, but its actually fine:

snadybridgebuild%20%282%29.JPG

Steverl22

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I've had the same question.... I'm going with a cm 212 EVO and 4x4 G.skill ripjaw. Ive seen YouTube videos where people have moved up the fan a little bit to give the memory some space.

r0ck095

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Cheers guys. As far as I am aware, the 612 is about 5mm higher than the 212 from the CPU, and the ripjaws is like 11mm lower than the vengeance, so I think it should fit over the RAM.