Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ITX Build, PSU Questions

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2012 8:15:05 PM

I am building a ITX system for my shop, mainly for net/email and to stream off my home network. I'm on a budget and this is what I've ordered so far:

Apex Mi-008 Case w/ 250w PSU
BIOSTAR A68I-350 Deluxe AMD Fusion APU 350D AMD A68 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB memory
LITE-ON DVD Burner
Western Digital Blue 500GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD
EVGA GeForce 210 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card

I bought the extra graphics card so I can send the HDMI to my shop TV (32"), the DVI to the computer monitor, and the D-Sub for viewing security cameras. When reading about the graphics card it requires 300 watts while my case PSU is only 250 watts.

I am prepared to upgrade the PSU but couldn't find any size specs on Apex's website or in the manual.

Can someone help with finding a higher wattage PSU that will fit in my case?

As always, thanks in advance.

December 12, 2012 8:19:49 PM

most psu's that come with cases should be binned immediately (except a couple)

i bet the case cost around £20

budget and country of purchase and we can make recommendations for you
m
l
December 12, 2012 8:24:05 PM

shanky887614 said:
most psu's that come with cases should be binned immediately (except a couple)

i bet the case cost around £20

budget and country of purchase and we can make recommendations for you

The case was $50 US.

I don't really have a budget for the PSU as it just needs to fit and power everything correctly.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 8:47:18 PM

On Apex's website the PSU is described as: ATX12V SFX 250W with 20+4 pin MB connector

This shows the case and PSU, from Apex's website.

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 12, 2012 8:58:00 PM

Entire system probably won't hit 80 watts at full load
Card maxes at around 30 watts running Furmark ( only around 10 watts under normal use )
Wouldn't worry about the psu until it becomes a necessity
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:04:27 PM

delluser1 said:
Entire system probably won't hit 80 watts at full load
Card maxes at around 30 watts running Furmark ( only around 10 watts under normal use )
Wouldn't worry about the psu until it becomes a necessity

This is what is confusing me. The graphics card manual states it needs at least a 300w PSU. So, if I'm getting this right, I should be ok?
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2012 9:16:37 PM

KnurledNut said:
This is what is confusing me. The graphics card manual states it needs at least a 300w PSU. So, if I'm getting this right, I should be ok?

yes you're ok.

i suggested the seasonic because i am one to not rust apex PSUs.

when there is a "minimum PSU requirements" it uses a guess as to what system is being used; cpu, ram, hard drive, ect. i am not sure how much power an APU uses but if delluser1 says 80 watts i'd trust him. i do know the GT 210 uses next to nothing for power.
December 12, 2012 9:22:06 PM

Anonymous said:
yes you're ok.

i suggested the seasonic because i am one to not rust apex PSUs.

when there is a "minimum PSU requirements" it uses a guess as to what system is being used; cpu, ram, hard drive, ect. i am not sure how much power an APU uses but if delluser1 says 80 watts i'd trust him. i do know the GT 210 uses next to nothing for power.

Thanks for the explanation. I will keep the Seasonic in mind if I need to upgrade or replace.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:22:23 PM

Best answer selected by KnurledNut.
m
l
!