Solved

ITX Build, PSU Questions

I am building a ITX system for my shop, mainly for net/email and to stream off my home network. I'm on a budget and this is what I've ordered so far:

Apex Mi-008 Case w/ 250w PSU
BIOSTAR A68I-350 Deluxe AMD Fusion APU 350D AMD A68 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB memory
LITE-ON DVD Burner
Western Digital Blue 500GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD
EVGA GeForce 210 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card

I bought the extra graphics card so I can send the HDMI to my shop TV (32"), the DVI to the computer monitor, and the D-Sub for viewing security cameras. When reading about the graphics card it requires 300 watts while my case PSU is only 250 watts.

I am prepared to upgrade the PSU but couldn't find any size specs on Apex's website or in the manual.

Can someone help with finding a higher wattage PSU that will fit in my case?

As always, thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build questions
  1. most psu's that come with cases should be binned immediately (except a couple)

    i bet the case cost around £20

    budget and country of purchase and we can make recommendations for you
  2. shanky887614 said:
    most psu's that come with cases should be binned immediately (except a couple)

    i bet the case cost around £20

    budget and country of purchase and we can make recommendations for you


    The case was $50 US.

    I don't really have a budget for the PSU as it just needs to fit and power everything correctly.
  3. On Apex's website the PSU is described as: ATX12V SFX 250W with 20+4 pin MB connector

    This shows the case and PSU, from Apex's website.

  4. Entire system probably won't hit 80 watts at full load
    Card maxes at around 30 watts running Furmark ( only around 10 watts under normal use )
    Wouldn't worry about the psu until it becomes a necessity
  5. delluser1 said:
    Entire system probably won't hit 80 watts at full load
    Card maxes at around 30 watts running Furmark ( only around 10 watts under normal use )
    Wouldn't worry about the psu until it becomes a necessity


    This is what is confusing me. The graphics card manual states it needs at least a 300w PSU. So, if I'm getting this right, I should be ok?
  6. Best answer
    KnurledNut said:
    This is what is confusing me. The graphics card manual states it needs at least a 300w PSU. So, if I'm getting this right, I should be ok?

    yes you're ok.

    i suggested the seasonic because i am one to not rust apex PSUs.

    when there is a "minimum PSU requirements" it uses a guess as to what system is being used; cpu, ram, hard drive, ect. i am not sure how much power an APU uses but if delluser1 says 80 watts i'd trust him. i do know the GT 210 uses next to nothing for power.
  7. Anonymous said:
    yes you're ok.

    i suggested the seasonic because i am one to not rust apex PSUs.

    when there is a "minimum PSU requirements" it uses a guess as to what system is being used; cpu, ram, hard drive, ect. i am not sure how much power an APU uses but if delluser1 says 80 watts i'd trust him. i do know the GT 210 uses next to nothing for power.


    Thanks for the explanation. I will keep the Seasonic in mind if I need to upgrade or replace.

    Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
  8. Best answer selected by KnurledNut.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product