AMD Or INTEL for most F2P games

kuttaman

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I play pretty much Alliance of Valiant Arms, CS:GO, and other free to play FPS and MMORPG. Will an I5-3570k be necessary or should I go with a i3 or even an AMD 6300 (heard about overheating issues) or AMD phenom II

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

That depends, some of those things (not recording and not really music) would use a i5. But how much of the time are you really going to use those kinda things?

kuttaman

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

on the weekends mostly, its not going to be a daily based thing for sure. My christmas vacation is coming up and Ill probably put out a couple of gaming montages in the next 3 weeks, say roughly 2-3hours of gaming recording, and than 2-4hrs of editing and rendering

InvalidError

Titan
Depending on how fast you need stuff to complete, you can do just about anything on an old C2D. Whether or not an i3 would be enough really depends on how ambitious, frequent and urgent the most compute-intensive stuff you do is to you.

On one hand, you can have a (semi)professional video editor who needs to render preview videos in (near-)realtime to work out effect details with a client while on the other hand, you can have an amateur editor not minding similar jobs taking a few minutes from edit to playback. The former would likely want an i7-3770, i7-3930k or Xeon E5 with a $1000 GPGPU card while the latter can make-do with whatever his patience can bear.

For audio, editing plain stereo doesn't take the same processing power as mixing 100 tracks with multiple effects on multiple channels.

So there is no universal answer to how much is enough. It depends heavily on how hard you want to push the software and how quickly you need results.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Then for the best performance go ahead and get a 3570k.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Well, for things like rendering OCing the CPU would really help.

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
For rendering AMD is a good budget option. If you dont feel like spending as much as the 3570k costs, the 6300 will be fine. Unless you overclock it, you dont have to worry about heat issues(unless your case has cables in a mess everywhere, and then the 3570k would overheat too).
The i3 will get the job done too, but it will be a bit slower in rendering and such, especially if you do it while playing games.

kuttaman

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
lol now I am even more confused, ugh what to do so many models so many numbers 3470, 2500k, 3550, 3570k, AMD, ............6300, 8350, Overlock or Not to overlock, Heating, cooling I feel like I am overheating lol.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

That's the point.

InvalidError

Titan

Only when you have little to no idea what you actually need.

If you had an existing system on which you have already done everything you are concerned about and could say "I need something at least twice as fast as my current system X at doing Y and am willing to spend up to Z$", it becomes fairly simple.

kuttaman

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

Its just the CPU that I am stuck at, I have everything else that I need. I just dont know whether I will OC in the future or not, if I am not going to OC than there is no point in buy the 3570 simply to play F2P games and edit them on vegas occasionaly (its not like I do it every week or anything), but then again if 2-3 years down the line, OC will keep me "current". Problem is, I am 21 (senior at Uni) planning on going to graduate school in the next 1-2 years, will I really be gaming by than? ofc I will, will i be gaming AND rendering videos and EDITIng, probably not.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
If you're recording video while playing to create montages then a lower end CPU will reduce your performance significantly.
- Most of the applications (such as FRAPS) that record video don't like having their affinity locked to specific cores.
- AMD's 'reverse hyper-threading' will really suffer under such a workload, your bottom 3% or more of frames will stutter all over the place even if you ran a GeForce GTX690 or Radeon HD7970

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
For anything "games", go with Intel.

However, F2P games are often pretty low on system requirements, as the whole idea of F2P is to make the game as accessible to as many people as possible. As such, any quad-core AMD processor should be able to handle most F2P games without too much trouble.

I still recommend Intel over AMD in general for anything in regards to gaming.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Gee, is that why someone like me (who has an average IQ and zero experience) was able to throw one together in about 4 hours with nothing but youtube videos and websites as a guide?

socialfox

Distinguished

We all learn at different rates my friend :lol: