Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What If Processors Were Round?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 9:56:20 PM

Round processors=Zombie Apocalypse
Score
0
a c 478 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:05:14 PM

What if a CPU was the size of a 12oz can of soda?
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:05:25 PM

socialfox said:
Round processors=Zombie Apocalypse

Round processor = round motherboard - round motherboard = weird freaking case
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:07:44 PM

To be honest, Im surprised CPUs havnt gone round. But even I have to agree with Socialfox. Could be something to do with the pins. A round CPU wouldnt have as much space for the required connectors to the socket. Of course, this could be false if CPU architecture was different. Or maybe there is some old guy at Intel/AMD who doesn't want to change! =P
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:07:58 PM

jaguarskx said:
What if a CPU was the size of a 12oz can of soda?

We would need a giant heatsink.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:09:17 PM

jaguarskx said:
What if a CPU was the size of a 12oz can of soda?


Well, they kinda used to be. AKA Vacuum tubes
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:09:40 PM

payturr said:
Round processor = round motherboard - round motherboard = weird freaking case


and when december 21st comes the round processor and motherboard will send a signal that will effect the brain and cause all users of a supposedly "round" processor to turn into flesh-eating zombies while we will (you and I) be survivors because we did not choose to use the round processors but SQAURE processors :D 

Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:11:16 PM

socialfox said:
and when december 21st comes the round processor and motherboard will send a signal that will effect the brain and cause all users of a supposedly "round" processor to turn into flesh-eating zombies while we will (you and I) be survivors because we did not choose to use the round processors but SQAURE processors :D 


I would imagine that you could end the process by pressing CTRL+Alt+DEL
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:13:40 PM

simmons33 said:
I would imagine that you could end the process by pressing CTRL+Alt+DEL

No, you have to use task manager.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:13:42 PM

simmons33 said:
I would imagine that you could end the process by pressing CTRL+Alt+DEL


Ah crap! You made my fantasy invalid....or how about some of the people not being able to end the process in time? :ouch: 
Anyways to contribute to this thread in a non-trolling manner, wouldn't it be harder to make round processors?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:16:50 PM

Not sure. Id make them in 8 pointed stars and not Key them so you would have to keep adjusting it to make it work

Researching how Intel/AMD makes CPUs, I dont think it would be that difficult. Unless it would be bad for their bottom line and offer no advantage to a square die.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:21:32 PM

simmons33 said:
Not sure. Id make them in 8 pointed stars and not Key them so you would have to keep adjusting it to make it work

Researching how Intel/AMD makes CPUs, I dont think it would be that difficult. Unless it would be bad for their bottom line and offer no advantage to a square die.

How big is the silicon itself?
Score
0
a c 478 à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:22:09 PM

simmons33 said:
Well, they kinda used to be. AKA Vacuum tubes


The vacuum tube was not a CPU on to itself. It's function is more like a transistor. A CPU made with transistors the size of a soda can would be massive.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:26:21 PM

jaguarskx said:
The vacuum tube was not a CPU on to itself. It's function is more like a transistor. A CPU made with transistors the size of a soda can would be massive.


But of course :D 
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 10:51:27 PM

I'm not surprised they are square at all since round CPUs would waste a shitload of resources when they're fabricated!
- http://www.google.com.au/search?q=silicon+wafer

If you cut them into circles then you're maximizing waste, not to mention creating problems with the interconnects, etc.

Near the edge of the wafer they can cut smaller squares for L2/L3 cache if they have the tech to do it to minimize the waste of ~ 125mm^2 chips.

See Also: Square Watermelon: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=square+watermelon

It's pretty basic stuff...
Share
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2012 11:09:34 PM

^I had a feeling that it would be something like that, though I stated "wouldn't it be harder to make round processors."

Anyways no one agrees with me about the zombie apocalypse?....they're coming, don't tell me I didn't warn you :whistle: 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 2:42:41 AM

Best answer selected by melikepie.
Score
0
!