Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$900 build

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2012 3:35:48 PM

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build myself a machine that will be used for some gaming. At first I will probably just be playing Diablo 3 but may get into other games down the road. I will also use the machine for basic browsing, possibly some development and as a media center. Additionally I am looking to spend $900 at most and will need to purchase Windows 7. I am just starting with SSD and will add a HDD later. Things I think might need to change at this point are PSU and graphics card but any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: I will buy the parts over the next two weeks

Budget Range: 800-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, surfing, media center, development

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes , Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any and I do have microcenter available

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, no preferences beyond that

Overclocking: Probably down the road

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dpLg

I do not have the cpu and mobo picked out on pc part picker because I will get those from micro center. They curently have $50 off when purchasing the following two in combo. So the CPU and mobo will run me $301.

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Current total is $824

More about : 900 build

July 30, 2012 3:40:37 PM

For starters, I would go with a Sata HDD, no offence, What good is a machine if your SSD fails. As for ram I would Pick up some G. Skill Ares sticks instead of the Kingston Ram (your going to need a low profile style ram stick for your cooler)
July 30, 2012 4:05:39 PM

Shockattackr said:
For starters, I would go with a Sata HDD, no offence, What good is a machine if your SSD fails. As for ram I would Pick up some G. Skill Ares sticks instead of the Kingston Ram (your going to need a low profile style ram stick for your cooler)

Now for real starters...lets just forget about this comment.

Your gonna need a HDD to compliment your SSD. Typically you only install OS and Games/Programs on the SSD. HDD is used for storage of files, movies, etc. I do think GSkill make a better stick of RAM than Kingston but this is personal preference, as long as it is 9-9-9-1600. Other than that it looks good.
Related resources
July 30, 2012 4:08:30 PM

Like I said, what good is a fast SSD if it fails? Yes i know SSD's are for OS and Games 9i have mine full already with games i play) Im just saying, a Mechanical HDD will be useful to have in case your SSD fails to boot
July 30, 2012 4:11:13 PM

HDD will not do anything because it is a storage disc...you cannot boot to a drive that does not have an operating system on it. If hard drive fails, ssd or hdd, you need to reinstall windows plain and simple.
July 30, 2012 4:14:07 PM

Just trying to help the guy save some money initially
July 30, 2012 4:20:22 PM

I may just buy SSD and HDD right away and expand the budget by $100, still thinking it over. That being said what about the power supply and GPU I currently have picked out.
July 30, 2012 4:26:19 PM

PSU is OK, I love mine. GPU is well...really comes down to whatever you can afford. I prefer Nvidia over ati, but that is mostly personal preference.

It's hard to go wrong with a GPU, money is almost the only factor.

Best solution

July 30, 2012 5:07:00 PM

The PSU is not the best, but I would consider it a safe buy. I would switch the ssd to a crucial m4 and get an hdd to go with it. That would solve the space and reliability issues the two above me are bickering about. After that if I had any money left over, I would switch the gpu to a radeon hd 7850. It uses less power and is a little bit faster than the 6950. With these changes you would have a pretty solid build.

Side note: I don't think those Kingston sticks would conflict with a hyper 212 evo.
July 30, 2012 6:22:10 PM

Best answer selected by terrors29.
!