Solved

$900 build

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build myself a machine that will be used for some gaming. At first I will probably just be playing Diablo 3 but may get into other games down the road. I will also use the machine for basic browsing, possibly some development and as a media center. Additionally I am looking to spend $900 at most and will need to purchase Windows 7. I am just starting with SSD and will add a HDD later. Things I think might need to change at this point are PSU and graphics card but any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: I will buy the parts over the next two weeks

Budget Range: 800-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, surfing, media center, development

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes , Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any and I do have microcenter available

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, no preferences beyond that

Overclocking: Probably down the road

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dpLg

I do not have the cpu and mobo picked out on pc part picker because I will get those from micro center. They curently have $50 off when purchasing the following two in combo. So the CPU and mobo will run me $301.

Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577

Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

Current total is $824
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build
  1. For starters, I would go with a Sata HDD, no offence, What good is a machine if your SSD fails. As for ram I would Pick up some G. Skill Ares sticks instead of the Kingston Ram (your going to need a low profile style ram stick for your cooler)
  2. Shockattackr said:
    For starters, I would go with a Sata HDD, no offence, What good is a machine if your SSD fails. As for ram I would Pick up some G. Skill Ares sticks instead of the Kingston Ram (your going to need a low profile style ram stick for your cooler)

Now for real starters...lets just forget about this comment.

Your gonna need a HDD to compliment your SSD. Typically you only install OS and Games/Programs on the SSD. HDD is used for storage of files, movies, etc. I do think GSkill make a better stick of RAM than Kingston but this is personal preference, as long as it is 9-9-9-1600. Other than that it looks good.
  3. Like I said, what good is a fast SSD if it fails? Yes i know SSD's are for OS and Games 9i have mine full already with games i play) Im just saying, a Mechanical HDD will be useful to have in case your SSD fails to boot
  4. HDD will not do anything because it is a storage disc...you cannot boot to a drive that does not have an operating system on it. If hard drive fails, ssd or hdd, you need to reinstall windows plain and simple.
  5. Just trying to help the guy save some money initially
  6. I may just buy SSD and HDD right away and expand the budget by $100, still thinking it over. That being said what about the power supply and GPU I currently have picked out.
  7. PSU is OK, I love mine. GPU is well...really comes down to whatever you can afford. I prefer Nvidia over ati, but that is mostly personal preference.

It's hard to go wrong with a GPU, money is almost the only factor.
  8. Best answer
    The PSU is not the best, but I would consider it a safe buy. I would switch the ssd to a crucial m4 and get an hdd to go with it. That would solve the space and reliability issues the two above me are bickering about. After that if I had any money left over, I would switch the gpu to a radeon hd 7850. It uses less power and is a little bit faster than the 6950. With these changes you would have a pretty solid build.

Side note: I don't think those Kingston sticks would conflict with a hyper 212 evo.
  9. Best answer selected by terrors29.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems