Question about hooking up audio and display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowmanx4587

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Okay I would google this but I wasn't sure exactly how to ask it. Im confused on how to connect my cables for my monitor and my video card. If anyone knows what i mean, im saying this is my first build and I've never had a seperate gpu so.. how would connect all that?

Solution
You'll always want to connect your monitor to your GPU so you use your GPU :)

If you connect to the motherboard, you'll get onboard graphics instead of using your discrete card.

so, if you didn't want to use your monitor speakers, just use DVI from your 6870 to your monitor. You could use HDMI too, and just change your audio output device in windows so you are outputting to your speakers instead of your monitor.

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Are you asking how to install the GPU? Or do you have it all installed and are asking how to connect your monitor?

If you have speakers in your monitor and want to use them, you need to use your HDMI out from GPU to your monitor.

Bowmanx4587

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

no I know how to install the gpu, and yes I have speakers built into the monitor. So would I connect my monitor via DVI to my tower and then a seperate HDMI cable Monitor to my 6870?

Bowmanx4587

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

okay and one more question, If i didnt need the speakers would I connect DVI from my 6870 to my montor or would I connect my monitor to my tower?

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
You'll always want to connect your monitor to your GPU so you use your GPU :)

If you connect to the motherboard, you'll get onboard graphics instead of using your discrete card.

so, if you didn't want to use your monitor speakers, just use DVI from your 6870 to your monitor. You could use HDMI too, and just change your audio output device in windows so you are outputting to your speakers instead of your monitor.

Solution

Bowmanx4587

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

yeah ill most likely be using my headphones, thank you for clearing that up

Status
Not open for further replies.