Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about hooking up audio and display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2012 2:56:55 PM

Okay I would google this but I wasn't sure exactly how to ask it. Im confused on how to connect my cables for my monitor and my video card. If anyone knows what i mean, im saying this is my first build and I've never had a seperate gpu so.. how would connect all that?
June 8, 2012 3:02:03 PM

Are you asking how to install the GPU? Or do you have it all installed and are asking how to connect your monitor?

If you have speakers in your monitor and want to use them, you need to use your HDMI out from GPU to your monitor.
Score
June 8, 2012 3:05:39 PM

blade061188 said:
Are you asking how to install the GPU? Or do you have it all installed and are asking how to connect your monitor?

If you have speakers in your monitor and want to use them, you need to use your HDMI out from GPU to your monitor.

no I know how to install the gpu, and yes I have speakers built into the monitor. So would I connect my monitor via DVI to my tower and then a seperate HDMI cable Monitor to my 6870?
Score
Related resources
June 8, 2012 3:10:59 PM

nope. All you need is HDMI from your 6870 to your monitor. One HDMI cable can carry both Audio and Video
Score
June 8, 2012 3:13:13 PM

blade061188 said:
nope. All you need is HDMI from your 6870 to your monitor. One HDMI cable can carry both Audio and Video

okay and one more question, If i didnt need the speakers would I connect DVI from my 6870 to my montor or would I connect my monitor to my tower?
Score

Best solution

June 8, 2012 3:15:45 PM

You'll always want to connect your monitor to your GPU so you use your GPU :) 

If you connect to the motherboard, you'll get onboard graphics instead of using your discrete card.

so, if you didn't want to use your monitor speakers, just use DVI from your 6870 to your monitor. You could use HDMI too, and just change your audio output device in windows so you are outputting to your speakers instead of your monitor.
June 8, 2012 3:17:42 PM

Best answer selected by bowmanx4587.
Score
June 8, 2012 3:18:40 PM

blade061188 said:
You'll always want to connect your monitor to your GPU so you use your GPU :) 

If you connect to the motherboard, you'll get onboard graphics instead of using your discrete card.

so, if you didn't want to use your monitor speakers, just use DVI from your 6870 to your monitor. You could use HDMI too, and just change your audio output device in windows so you are outputting to your speakers instead of your monitor.

yeah ill most likely be using my headphones, thank you for clearing that up
Score
June 8, 2012 3:21:09 PM

Glad to help.

Enjoy your new GPU!
Score
June 8, 2012 8:33:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!