Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low performance! Need Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 30, 2012 4:03:06 PM

Hello, (first time here hopefully I'm posting in the right place)

I currently have a:
Video card VGA MSI|R6790-2PM2D1GD5 HD6790 1G R
MOBO MB MSI P55-GD80 1156 RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G R
MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3P16004GK R
PSU ROSEWILL|RX850-S-B 850W RT

Not sure if with this set up i should be able to play BF3 (I have everything on low and still get a max FPS of 40 and going down as low as 9). A Friend of my has a machine not as powerful as my and on D3 his fps is way better than my. I'm at a loss, I'm not new at building pc but I don't have the time to study this stuff anymore. What should I do. I have MSI afterburner and MSI kombustor. What should I do? on the

More about : low performance

July 30, 2012 4:27:38 PM

Hi there!

Will you please tell us what is the resolution of your monitor?

Because thats a good entry gaming PC, enough for playing BF3 a medium to high with good FPS.

That processor, being Quad Core is enough for Bf3 multiplayer and that GPU should handle any todays games at decent resolution as 1650x1050.

I tell you that because I have the same GPU and i Play at that resolution with 40 or more FPS in multiplayer on High Preset...

You should consider give a little overclock your processor, having it about 3.0ghz will help a bunch in most todays games.

If you have a too big monitor and resolution, it can explain why poor performance in games, just because the GPU can't handle the load.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 30, 2012 4:34:18 PM

klkneip said:
Hello, (first time here hopefully I'm posting in the right place)

I currently have a:
Video card VGA MSI|R6790-2PM2D1GD5 HD6790 1G R
MOBO MB MSI P55-GD80 1156 RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G R
MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ3P16004GK R
PSU ROSEWILL|RX850-S-B 850W RT

Not sure if with this set up i should be able to play BF3 (I have everything on low and still get a max FPS of 40 and going down as low as 9). A Friend of my has a machine not as powerful as my and on D3 his fps is way better than my. I'm at a loss, I'm not new at building pc but I don't have the time to study this stuff anymore. What should I do. I have MSI afterburner and MSI kombustor. What should I do? on the


You will be able to play, up to 1080p. If you don't insist that all the options be turned to the max.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 6, 2012 2:10:14 PM

I have put everything to the lowest setting on BF3 and I still get very low fps... Maybe the Ram is not good enough?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 2:19:24 PM

klkneip said:
I have put everything to the lowest setting on BF3 and I still get very low fps... Maybe the Ram is not good enough?


Try a BF3 single player game, it is possible you are seeing a lot of network lag due to your internet connection. Your Ram is more than sufficient for this.

What kind of FPS issues are you having ? Consistently low all the time, stutter (high-low,high-low), etc?

All your other games run fine ?

Also, might as well update the drivers while you are at it for the GPU. Double check that your GPU is installed in the primary PCI-E slot, not any other slots. Check your motherboard manual to find out which is your Primary PCI-E 16x slot. Check in your BIOS to make sure you haven't accidentally set that PCI-E slot to 1x lanes instead of 16x lanes.

That's what I can think of for now...
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 3:20:08 PM

Same problem in the BF3 single player, My Network should be fine (had friends over on my network and they didnt have any problems), The FPS is low to begin with and it drops like crazy, the problem is for all games, GPU is updated and installed in the primary PCI-E. Bios not set to 1x. Thank you for the answers so far.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 3:20:21 PM

Same problem in the BF3 single player, My Network should be fine (had friends over on my network and they didnt have any problems), The FPS is low to begin with and it drops like crazy, the problem is for all games, GPU is updated and installed in the primary PCI-E. Bios not set to 1x. Thank you for the answers so far.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2012 5:51:25 PM

klkneip said:
Same problem in the BF3 single player, My Network should be fine (had friends over on my network and they didnt have any problems), The FPS is low to begin with and it drops like crazy, the problem is for all games, GPU is updated and installed in the primary PCI-E. Bios not set to 1x. Thank you for the answers so far.


Hmm, okay. Good thing to double check all that anyway. Here is a hunch, try updating your BIOS to the newest version, and allow a CMOS reset (either by the BIOS updater application, or less frequently manually after a complete BIOS update).

Also, do you have access to your friend's computer ? Try swapping your GPU with his. Even if this option is not available for you, download a free copy of 3dmark06 (the free copy will be fine), and do a complete benchmark, then post the scores here. I suspect something is working below proper frequencies, if this is not software related.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 11:58:31 AM

I figure out the problem; apparently the PCI slot that I was using is not working on my motherboard. I changed the video card and everything is working fine now!

Thank you all for your help!
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 2:11:34 PM

Oh man, so you were using the mobo graphics? That must have been truely ugly! Glad it's all up and running for you :) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2012 2:23:07 PM

klkneip said:
I figure out the problem; apparently the PCI slot that I was using is not working on my motherboard. I changed the video card and everything is working fine now!

Thank you all for your help!


Okay! Probably a non-full 16x slot...
m
0
l
!