Apr 30, 2012
Specs:

MB: ASUS P7P55D
PS: Rosewill RBR1000-M 1000W
CPU: Intel Core i5 Bloomfield
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) G.SKILL DDR3
VC: ASUS HD 7850 2GB

Issue: BIOS will not load while P7P55D is installed

I upgraded my 5670 to a 7850 today, and the motherboard will not boot with it. The issue was intermittent at first; it booted with 4GB of RAM installed, let me install drivers and reboot. It worked for about 5 minutes, then my monitor went white and all the screens shut down (I had 4 screens connected). I reseated the RAM and card, only left 1 monitor in, and my motherboard is giving me an error light next to the PCI slot now. I left everything alone and loaded my 5670 in to write this post.

The card came with a small 6-pin PCI power cable extension, so I disconnected that and plugged my PSU directly into it. No change. I also tried a different modular PCI power cable, no change. I also flashed the latest BIOS, no change. The fans spin so it must be getting power, but I noticed something in the Catalyst performance tool while I had the chance, and the power was at 0%. Could the card be getting a small amount of power from the PCI slot, but not enough to keep running from the PSU? My guess is either the PSU or card is at fault, but I don't have another PSU to try. Thanks for your time!

Solution
Since you just got the 7850, I would suspect that first. Exchange it.

I had a bad video card that caused boot issues and restarts... all sorts of havoc. Exchanged it at the store and everything worked great.

AmonReviled

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I got a friend who is going to let me try it in his system to hopefully rule out the PSU, then that's the route I'll go!

CretanThreat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Well my friend, you are not alone.
Ironically, I too experienced the same issues, the exact same day! (yesterday!)

I received my ASUS 7850 2GB from newegg and was more than happy to put it in my new system.

Here are my system specs.

i7 3770k
Asus P8Z77VPro Motherboard
OCZ 850 W. PSU
500 GB WD HDD

Here is what happened when I installed the card. I will be as detailed as possible.

1. Switched off tower, turned off PSU.
2. Unboxed card, carefully installed it into the PCI express 3.0 slot on the motherboard.
3. Made sure it clicked and was correctly seated inside the motherboard.
4. Plugged in 1 monitor to the vga slot on the card using a dvi to vga adapter.
5. The computer booted, and it was clear that drivers needed to be installed for the card. (Display was running at 800 x 600 on an 18 inch screen.)
6. Ran the CD that came with the graphics card to update drivers and to also install GPU tweak.
7. Visited ASUS's website to look for the most recent drivers for our graphics card, (actually found them hosted on 6-5-2012.) Therefore, they just recently released new drivers for our card.
8. Downloaded the file, once the download finished, I patched the graphics cards drivers.
9. Prompted to restart, restarted, - and all hell broke loose.

The card will not output video signal to the monitors.
I have tried everything, just like you have.

My PSU is also modular, so I also tried a different cable to power the card.
I moved the Graphics card from the first PCI 3.0 slot to a lower one on the motherboard.
I also notice that the fans below the card spin, but that is all the card does.
I removed the card from the motherboard, and ran integrated graphics.
I did a system restore to before I plugged in the graphics card.
I tried to install the new graphics card as I had done before. Now it won't even recognize it as a device.

I took it back out, packaged it back up, and am at a standstill as I do not know what to do.
We paid 260 bucks for this baby, and it doesn't work?...

I purchased this item from Newegg - I don't know what their return policy is. More than likely I will have to pay for verified shipping to send it back, and will probably receive a refurbished item vs. a new item when it returns? Is that correct?

Does anyone have any experience returning items to Newegg ?
I think I might try the same GPU (7850) but ask newegg to obtain the card manufactured by Sapphire with relatively the same specs. I don't know if they will let me exchange it for a different item though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I do not have a friend who lives near me in order to test out the card in their rig. I wish I did. Tell me if that works so that I may see if my motherboard, psu, or card is having the issue.

Thanks,
Will bookmark this thread to check for a reply!

Emmanuel

AmonReviled

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Sounds like we got a bad batch! Newegg is fantastic about returns and replacements. I made sure to chat with a representative to make sure the process went through smoothly and requested a pre-paid return shipping label. I'm sending mine in for a replacement and they cover shipping both ways. I'm pretty sure they send you a brand new item.

If you want to replace it for a different card, just do a refund instead and then buy the different card. Let me know if you go with the Sapphire and what your results are!

CretanThreat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I think that I will also do the same! I will call newegg tomorrow and ask them to send me a shipping label just as you have. I think I might just try the same card out again. If it fails for a second time, I would definitely consider going with a replacement. At the moment though, the card, its specs, and it price suit what I am looking for.

Also, I thought it was important to note something else because we have the same card.

I took my faulty one over to my friends house who lives 20 miles away from me. He ironically has the same processor as well as the same motherboard as I do. We plugged in the Asus graphics card into his tower and guess what...

It doesn't work for him either! I was very happy to rule out the possibility that my motherboard had an issue! :D

I will be calling newegg tomorrow for a replacement. I will keep you informed as to what the outcome is. As far as for you, did you get a new card yet?

Emmanuel

AmonReviled

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Sounds great! I've always been an ASUS fan so I want to stick with them, but I agree that if the replacement fails I'll try another brand. I dropped the package off on Saturday, so hopefully I'll see my replacement at the end of this week or early next week! Good luck to you and I'll report back with the replacement.