Solved

Thoughts on these specs for gaming?

I have recently purchased an Alienware X51. I know I overpaid for a prebuilt machine. But looking past that, here are the specs on the machine coming my way. It's my first PC purchase (I have only owned a Sony laptop and my current MacBook Pro,) and I'm wondering how people who know more about computer specs than me think this machine will perform on games like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I bought this machine with the intent of playing these games at high settings! I have yet to pick out a monitor, but I will obviously get something with a high resolution; I could use some feedback/advice on a monitor choice as well.

-Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
-8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz
-1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
-1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
-DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,Andromeda
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, w/Media
-Single Drive: 8X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
-DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
-240W External Power Supply

Please let me know what y'all think!

Thanks
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thoughts specs gaming
  1. Best answer
    The processor is good (though a 3570k would be better suited for gaming and cheaper, though you will notice a small difference in games like BF3 etc.). You have ample ram for a gaming build and your hard drive is okay. Now my only major concern is the video card is not so good...you may want to consider upgrading that to something of at least an HD 7850/70.

Lastly what do you mean by external power supply?
  2. You really have a low end graphics card, but for those games it will do, but for 1080p a 650 or 650ti would've been better, and a really crappy psu with 250w, meaning if you want to switch latter on to a good card, you'll have to buy a new psu.
  3. Thanks for the reply. So to understand you, you are suggesting upgrading my graphics card to 650 or 650ti, however, that would require a new psu? Suggestions on where to go for a better psu if I wanted to upgrade the card?
  4. newegg.com

I'd lean a bit towards the 7850 rather than the 650 ti (which is nonetheless a great card) but the 7850 overclocks better and is faster.

Now choose your card and we can select a power supply appropriate after you tell us your budget.
  5. Well, I feel like I should cross the upgrade bridge when I come to it. I'm really not a serious gamer, I just want to play SC2, WoW and some occasional D3... I have my lap top, xbox 360, 42 in hdtv etc... It sounds like this build should run the afore-mentioned games without problems on the highest settings?
  6. depends on the resolution....1080p then probably not.
  7. ummm 240w external power supply? is this a laptop?
  8. I'm curious. How much was the Alienware that you bought?
  9. Unfortunately I made a couple impulse mistakes in purchasing this machine! I paid about 1,000... I think I f*cked this one up! You live, you learn - any advice for me moving forward with what I paid and what I got is only going to help! In the case that I've drastically overpaid, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but at least I won't make similar mistakes in the future if I do get suggestions on where I could improve my situation!

I appreciate everyone's feedback/responses.
  10. laptop, or desktop?
  11. it has a i7-3770 it's obvious a desktop pc, there's only two i7-37xx mobile and it's the 3720QM and 3740QM
  12. Desktop. I went with the $849 option and chose to upgrade to the i7-3770 which put me up just over a grand. Here's a link:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd
  13. There's no psu that will fit in there, you're stuck with cards that only draws power from pcie slot like the 7750, if it fits there.
  14. sorry i was confused by the external power supply. now i am confused as to why alienware would sell such a machine....
  15. Best answer selected by htm921.
  16. It's a good machine and reliable, but not good for gaming. You need at least a 500w PSU and a higher level gpu for some games.

If you buy a monitor you might want 900p, but definitely not 1200p or higher.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs