Closed Solved

Intel i5-3570k or AMD FX 8350?

So at the moment I'm really confused, which one should I get. Both would end me up with the same price, because the FX CPU costs low but motherboard is kinda expensive, but the Intel CPU costs more but the motherboard costs less. So, my question is which one would be better for doing what I am planning on doing on my pc?
I will play games, like Minecraft, TF2, BF3 (if my mom ever buys it for me :cry: ), or other games. I am pretty sure I will get loads of FPS on Minecraft on both CPUs, but what about more CPU intensive games? Anyways, I'm planning on recording sometimes as well, even run a 24/7 Minecraft server, and run a second server sometimes to make minecraft videos with my friends privately. Also, I will be converting videos for the sake of shortening the files and making them upload faster on youtube, but still maintain the HD quality. I'll be using Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, because I really love the user friendly interface. And last, but not the least, I will be rendering videos! (in case I edited it with stuff such as captions, etc.)
So, I will be playing games, recording, run 1 24/7 minecraft server also a temporary 2nd server sometimes, sometimes browse the internet with all those running in case I need help with anything or if I wanna watch a youtube video. Then I will also convert videos, that's probably all I'm planning on doing at the same time, but if it is possible then I'll even render a video. I will be doing all those (not at the same time though, for example I may not have a video to render/convert, so there would then be lesser load) which CPU do you think will better handle this without noticing/no impact on performance? I am leaning towards intel since it has better latency, better architechture, better single threaded performance, but I heard the FX processors are for multitaskers, which I'm not sure about, and I saw "pro" benchmarks online and saw the FX barely beats the 3570k, in other words the intel processor's still undefeated.
Which processor should I go with after seeing what stuff I'm planning on doing? Thanks you all in advance.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel 3570k 8350
  1. Please guys help me out over here I'm not trying to start a war here I'm just trying to find out which processor is going to handle my workload more efficiently.
  2. The I5 will be great in gaming but might struggle with more CPU intensive work It's in intensive CPU that hyper threading helps, problem is the I5 doesn't have hyperthreading. The Piledriver will be good at the heavy CPU work but will be lousy in gaming. In reality the I7 would be best unfortunately it cost 320 dollars and not everyone can afford that. With the I7 though you would be getting the best of both worlds, the four cores with hyperthreading will outperform the Piledriver in heavy CPU work and with hyperthreading disabled the I7 will be equal to the I5 and will beat the Piledriver in gaming.
  3. rds1220 said:
    The I5 will be great in gaming but might struggle with more CPU intensive work, it's in intensive CPU that hyper threading helps, problem is the I5 doesn't have hyperthreading. The Piledriver will be good at the heavy CPU work but will be lousy in gaming. In reality the I7 would be best unfortunately it cost 320 dollars and not everyone can afford that. However the four cores with hyperthreading will outperform the Piledriver in heavy CPU work and with hyperthreading disabled it will beat the Piledriver in gaming and be equal to the I5.

But what I'm saying is will the i5 be able to at least handle the workload? Remember, I mentioned that I won't be doing everything all at once, I will probably run 3 things at most at the same time, e.g. games, record games, and my minecraft server. Sometimes my temporary server as well. Saying this, will the i5 be able to handle it?
  4. Core i5, it'll handle everything you can throw at it and more. Especially if you overclock it! The 8350 is good, but it's no i5 brother. The Core i5 has serious single thread performance and with the 4 cores, trust me, it can do what you need it to do. Well worth the price you pay IMO, and good support for it!
  5. Solid_Snake3 said:
    But what I'm saying is will the i5 be able to at least handle the workload? Remember, I mentioned that I won't be doing everything all at once, I will probably run 3 things at most at the same time, e.g. games, record games, and my minecraft server. Sometimes my temporary server as well. Saying this, will the i5 be able to handle it?

I don't really know much about Minecraft or a Mnecraft server so I don't know how demanding it will be or if more cores or hyperthreading will help. I don't want to say it will work then have you do the build and it not give good peformance. The I5 will handle games and in game recording fine but the Minecraft server I'm not sure.
  6. Alright good replies so far now I need more so I can narrow it down to the most specific answer I need.
  7. For minecraft, the i5 3570k will be enough. From what I read, you will be recording games as well? Be sure the get a second hdd for the best results. I also will be using the same cpu and recording minecraft, and other games. What gpu and ram are you getting? I'm getting the 670 and 8gb (1600mhz) ram.
  8. I believe either will work for your needs! But personally I think the i5 is much stronger than the the FX 8350, though I think the FX is more for gaming. Or spec'd for gaming
    more than the i5. Was the plan for AMD.
    Either way, both work well. Best to go with price; AMD is usually cheaper, so that is
    up for you to choose!
  9. Jessedavid4 said:
    I believe either will work for your needs! But personally I think the i5 is much stronger than the the FX 8350, though I think the FX is more for gaming. Or spec'd for gaming
    more than the i5. Was the plan for AMD.
    Either way, both work well. Best to go with price; AMD is usually cheaper, so that is
    up for you to choose!

In single threaded programs like gaming the I5 stomps the Bulldozer and Piledriver. If the main purpose is for gaming there is no question the I5 is the best price to performance. Considering that the I5 is the better perfomer in gaming and if it can handle the Minecraftserver than I would go with the I5 it is the overall better CPU.

10. sitbar said:
    For minecraft, the i5 3570k will be enough. From what I read, you will be recording games as well? Be sure the get a second hdd for the best results. I also will be using the same cpu and recording minecraft, and other games. What gpu and ram are you getting? I'm getting the 670 and 8gb (1600mhz) ram.

Wow thanks guys for the help. I guess I will go for the i5 3570k. By the way, I'm getting a MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5 OC Power Edition GPU. Yours is a gtx 670, it will handle games much better than mine, but since I don't have $300 to spend on GPUs, I'm sticking with the 7850 especially of the good performance it gives on benchmarks. And I'm getting Corsair Vengeance Ble 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RAM, same as yours. Our specs are pretty much the same, except for the GPU it will handle intensive graphical games better than mine. But according to benchmarks, the 7850 will more than suffice for me.
  11. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=697

intel normaly out performs amd but i5 is better
  12. The CPU does more work than the motherboard does, so the more expensive CPU (in a well balanced free market) will generally perform better.

You can add 100's of pages of technical reasons to that, but that's what it boils down to.

Not to mention AMDs 8 core CPU is really a 4 core CPU with 'AMDs implementation of HyperThreading'.
    - Yes, it really is.
  13. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,review-32582-5.html

FX-8350 is on level with ancient intel CPUs, not worth your money.
  14. Scott_D_Bowen said:
    The CPU does more work than the motherboard does, so the more expensive CPU (in a well balanced free market) will generally perform better.

You can add 100's of pages of technical reasons to that, but that's what it boils down to.

Not to mention AMDs 8 core CPU is really a 4 core CPU with 'AMDs implementation of HyperThreading'.
    - Yes, it really is.

are u serious ?? didn't kn ow that !
    so why are they bragging this much about having the ONLY REAL 8 CORE !
    amd has fallen low ...
  15. ^
    Because Marketing >> engineering.
  16. Best answer
    personally if if your only running a 7850 then i would say just get 3570k realisitically your not going to notice if a game dose more then 60 fps generally speaking.. they really havent put out much of a good processor sense the 1090t 1100t .. those were true 6 core processors .. any way point is its all about how much power it uses now days to do the same amount of work and .. well intel is way more efficient ..
  17. There is still 8 cores... but who is going to use that many?
  18. SkyWalker1726 said:
    are u serious ?? didn't kn ow that !
    so why are they bragging this much about having the ONLY REAL 8 CORE !
    amd has fallen low ...

Because when you examine the difference between 4 and 8 threads, amd's CMT(thats what they call it)is 60-80% efficient vs Intel's HT being 10-30% efficient. With it being that close, you can call it what you want.

Windows update actually has the fx 8xxx cpus showing as a 4 core 8 thread cpu now so that its scheduled the same as Intel's I7s, full cores are loaded before extra threads.
  19. Overall i5s are way better than the FX series. The FX series were made to be overclocked.
  20. Ok thanks guys for all the info hopefully there was no fanboyism here :) . If there was, the only thing you'd be giving benefit is intel. Anyways, I'm going with Intel. I would love to choose everyone's answer as best, but there can only be one.
  21. Best answer selected by Solid_Snake3.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs