Thermal Paste

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermal Compound
  • Motherboards
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:39:51 AM

I just purchased an i5 3.2ghz. After installing come to find out the motherboard has some issues so I'm sending it back for a new one. Question is do I need to clean off the processor and the stock fan that had thermal paste on it and reapply some more or can I just remount it as is since it's new?

Help appreciated!

Also if I need to clean it off what should I clean it off with?

Recommend thermal paste would be great to if I need to get some, Thanks!

More about : thermal paste

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:48:42 AM

Yes, it's best to replace it - the paste on the stock cooler isn't that good at all to begin with. Go with Arctic Silver 5 - affordable, and very, very good (A+ rating) - plus you can get it at your local radio shack. Just a dab on the center of your CPU, put your cooler down, and trust me - that thing will transfer heat much better than the paste that was there before.
m
l
a c 109 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:50:47 AM

AS5 should do fine, yes. To wipe off the old grease just get a cloth and gently wipe off the grease from the CPU and contact plate of the cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 12:54:19 AM

SchizTech said:
AS5 should do fine, yes. To wipe off the old grease just get a cloth and gently wipe off the grease from the CPU and contact plate of the cooler.

Cloth with isopropyl (at least 70% alcohol), helps get a fine shine and gets all the residue off. The cleaner and shinier it is, better transfer for heat.
m
l