2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I am thinking about getting the radeon 6870 and I wanted to have some questions answered by someone who knows alot about it or has one.

1) Can you watercool it?

2) Can you post the WEI no matter your thoughts of it?

3) Will it bottle neck my system(in my signature)?

4) If you have any of the batmans (arkham asylum or arkham city) can you post the fps on the benchmark and your system?

5) Is it quiet and cool or loud and hot?

6) What are your overall thoughts of it?

If you answer any of these questions please also put which 6870 yuo have(msi, his, etc.)

:hello:

No I didn't watercool them. One could handle any game at 1080p, limiting only the amount of antialiasing I could set. Usually I could set up to 4xMSAA with decent performance (over 40FPS). A few very demanding games would lag at highest settings and 4xMSAA (Metro, Skyrim+ENBseries)

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks will all of them perform pretty well with my i5 2500k??

Is it worth 240 to get the second one you listed? I dont want to pay 200 dollars for a graphics card that will bottleneck my system. I also dont want to pay more for something too powerful for my system Which is the best fit for my system below?

First noticeable thing on your setup is your PSU, 460W is very limited. It should be enough for the cards above. In any case, the 7850 is the MOST power efficient, with the 6870 next, followed by the 6950. Although you may use the PSU with one of this cards, do consider an upgrade in the near future. A good PSU is never a bad pruchase, since they last long and protect your hardware. A 750W+ PSU from a good manufacturer (Antec, Seasonic, Enermax, Thermaltake, Corsair) will be enough for pretty much anything you may need in the future.

The performance difference isn't big:

"http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/compare,2977.html?prod[5454]=on&prod[5397]=on&prod[5399]=on"

Consider the games you play the most. Overall they perform similarly. The advantages of the 7850 are the much lower power consumption, better crossfire potential, low temperatures and low noise. It's also a very good overclocker.

About bottlenecking your system, if you play demanding games at high resolution (BF3, Crysis, Skyrim with visual mods), ANY card will bottleneck the system. That is because these tasks are graphically intensive, so the graphics card is the limiting factor. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't look for a card that won't bottleneck your system, you should look for one that can handle the games you play at the settings you want, with good performance.

In short, I'd recommend you the 6950 as best cost x benefit for 1080p gaming with high graphical quality. Is the 7850 worth the 40 bucks? Not for performance, but if the 40 bucks aren't that hard to come by, it will be easier on the 460W PSU, quieter and give the prospect of crossfire in the future (the 6950 is not a good crossfire choice because its hotter and more power hungry)

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

I am upgrading the psu gpu and getting a new cpu water cooler all in this upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS