Buid with i5 2500k & gtx 670 windforce need a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
hey everyone im making a new build in the next few weeks hoping to have done by the end of the year, and iv chosen pretty much every part exept power supply. so heres the build
i5 2500k CPU
ASUS P8Z77-V LK (lga 1155) motherboard
4x4gb corsair vengance 1600mhz memory
samsung 840 series 250gb 2.5" SSD ( also have a 1tb WD caviar green HDD already)
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2gb videocard
and all in an Antec eleven hundred ATX full tower. (4 fans already i think not 100%)
iv done some voltage calculators already with an answer of 413 and i am thinking that i need a PSU around 550W so i looked around myself but i honestly dont trust myself completley on choosing a power supply. i was looking at the TX550M but the percentages confuzed me so could someone please give me some reccomendations? also any criticism on the build would be appreciated :) .

o320

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I'd say a 600w PSU would be sufficient for your needs. I had a build similar to yours running on a hx650 and it was overclocked like mad with no hiccups.
Overall your build looks pretty good! Be sure to post it in the system forums when you finish it :)
Good luck with your build!

JJ1217

Honorable
I would get an i5 3570k to utilise PCIe 3.0.

I believe a nice Corsair PSU will do you well, to open up the possibility of SLI later on, I would go with the TX750, or the CX750, or if you wanted 80+ Gold and fully modular black cabling, an AX 750 is even better. Thats only if you want to SLI later on.

A good 500W will do you fine, such as a CX500.

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

lol wow thanks thats a huge list :p i was mostly worried of choosing too big of a psu. is there a certain number i should specifically choose? vux it seems like 750 would be too much this whole percentage thing is just confuzing. also should mention the tower has about 9 fan slots so its likley ill put in 7 or 8

i was originally looking at new gen CPU but the pcie 3.0 tech dosent seem to make much difference for now. its also a bit more green,but i know intel will release faster chips 2013. also i am planning upgrading again in next 5 years or so. aswell i dont think ill do sli, and if i do can get new psu later cuz like i said dont wanna overpower.
also i know this is a bitoff subject in this thread but just remembered iv been tryna decide on a 1080p monitor around 23"ish for gaming just wondering if anyone else has got recc. for a screen.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

allright i was reading around i guess i didnt read enough just knew that too much wattage can kill ur whole machine if the PSU dies. is there some way of knowing what the current availabe is on a PSU? im not seeing it in the tech specs on any sites.

ya im willing to spend anything that isnt rediculous :p. i guess 600w is the ammount im floating around but i guess upto 150$?

If a PSU manufacturer does not specify the PSU's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating on the label then run away from it.

The only reason a PSU manufacturer won't state the PSU's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating is because they are trying to hide the fact that the PSU has a weak +12 Volt rail capacity. This is intentional so that you can't readily compare it to a reputable PSU.

Which PSU brands and models were you looking at?

Some suggestions:

single GeForce GTX 670

Seasonic G Series 450W ATX 80PLUS Gold Modular
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76941&vpn=SSR-450RM&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

Seasonic G Series 550W ATX 80PLUS Gold Modular
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76942&vpn=SSR-550RM&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

two GeForce GTX 670 in 2-way SLI mode

Seasonic G Series 650W ATX 80PLUS Gold Modular
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76943&vpn=SSR-650RM&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1285

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Solution

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

sorry im just stupid i see the rating now http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-modular-tx550m-80-plus-bronze-certified-550-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply.html

ya thankyou i was leaning towards corsair already :). so iv just got one last question im just wondering whats the difference between the tx 650 and the hx 650? is hx just the more reliable brand and thats why they charge more?

Corsair TX Series power supply units are designed for hardcore PC gamers, performance enthusiasts, and anybody who appreciates a combination of high performance standards and affordability. TX Series PSUs are 80 PLUS Bronze certifed, and are available in both modular and non-modular configurations.

Corsair HX Series modular power supply units are designed for gaming rigs, overclocking systems, or any PC where rock-solid stability is essential. HX Series PSUs have earned 80 PLUS Gold certification to guarantee cool, efficient operation. Modular cabling allows you to use just the cables you need, for better looking system builds with less cable clutter and improved airflow.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

Corsair units are made by two OEMS, CWT and Seasonic. CWT units are those of the CX, TXM, some HX, while seasonic produces the high end HX, TX V2, and AX. Seasonic units are some of the best in the market and are used as base models for many of the PSU companies that order from Seasonic and sell it under their own brand.

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
thanks guys u were both really helpful and i decided for the hx650, just cause of availability in my area. and im going to try and get the platinum if i can :D
iv now just gotta find a good monitor and mouse and ill be ready to go :)

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

thats hillarious i decided a monitor myself and it just happened to be the exact same model you sujjested :p. also i have a cyborg v7 keyboard so i was looking at the rat 7 mouse for a while but that one you posted im really considering too

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
hey sorry for reviving a bit of a dead thread but iv got my build up and running, only problem being that the samsung 24b300 has a vga cable, and my graphics card only has got dvi and hdmi connectors. so long story short i did some searching and i cannot find the answer to this question anywhere.
will an adapter from dvi to my vga cable affect the quality of my graphics? some people seem to say so, and some people not.

JJ1217

Honorable
Not really at 1080p. I used to use a VGA Cable to connect with my graphics card with a DVI to VGA adapter, there was barely any gain from going purely DVI (Writing was a *****TINY***** bit clearer, but barely noticeable.

ugalump

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thankyou for The quick answer and reassurance. Iv actually got one last question , i still need a cd drive (Not a blu ray) and im just looking for the fastest thing for installing games And maybe a bit of burning in the future. I just need something with sata seeing as i just discovered today my old cd drive uses PATA connection.
So basically good, fast cd drive with sata Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.