Hello,
which is better
sapphire 7950 flex 3GB for 420$ dual-fan OR
evga gtx 670 $GB for 490$ single-fan

as i search
the ATI is more flexable and can run more monitors independently
but
the 670 nvidia is faster and has more vram

i did read the other threads but no one considered the diffrent in ram and the flexablity

thanks in advance

The best one does what YOU need to have done.

How many monitors do you need to run?
Do you plan to game on multi monitors, only one, or no gaming at all?

For the most part, do not use vram as a selection criteria. The vram included on any card is sufficient, and the value of extra is debatable, particularly considering the extra price.

aammrr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
thanks for the fast reply

i need to game with 3 monitors and to be able to run atleast 4 monitors indepently (be able to configer the monitors within windows ie no eyefinity nor 2d sirround just 4 monitors) when not playing.

also i think more vram will make the card more future-proof.

and should i consider the number of colling fans?

again, thanks for the fast reply

fudoka711

Distinguished
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the gtx 670 run 4 monitors independently? Or go in a 3/1 format (1 hdmi, 2 dvi, 1 displayport)?

I believe the sapphire 7950 has the same number of display adapters.

And I agree that 3gb or 4gb or vram will not matter. If you can find one, I would go with the EVGA gtx 670 4gb model since it is a little bit more powerful than the 7950.

However, you will have to pay a bit little more (the gtx 670 is $485 as of writing this on newegg). Having said that I still like EVGA more than sapphire as a brand.

The number of fans won't really matter in this case. Cooling won't be a problem with either gpu. Fans don't really matter unless you're going to sli/xfire or have poor ventilation in your case (in which case I'd go with the gtx 670 as none of its hot air goes back into the case).

If you will game on 3 monitors, you are looking at a GTX670 or GTX680, 7970 or better.
If price is not a big concern, there is no downside to more vram.
If you have less vram, it just means that the gpu has to work a bit harder transferring things around.
Since these cards are already the strongest around, that should not be a big issue.

As to running 4 independent monitors(do I detect a trading system?), that is easily and cheaply resolved with the addition of a couple of inexpensive discrete graphics cards which can each run two monitors.

aammrr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

all i can get from the net is that it will drive 3 monitors as 1 and an additional monitor (in windows we can see only 2 monitors),but i want to know if we can see 4 monitors with different resolution within windows configration

the sapphire 7950 flex has 5 outputs (2DVI,1HDMI,2DP)
and they clame that it can drive up to 6 monitors (i think with some kind of adaptors , no sure)

so the fan in the 670 is enough.

thanks for the reply

aammrr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012

so can i use 670 or 7950 with an additional card? will there be any limitaion ?
and i see that you are using an "evga 680" how is the cooling fan and the temp.?

thanks

With windows 7, which I assume you are using, you can have a large number of graphics cards installed, and they can even be from different ati or nvidia vendors.

In the past, I used a second graphics card to drive my second monitor on the theory that it would allow more resources to be applied to the gaming monitor. It worked fine, but I actually saw no difference so I abandoned that tactic on later builds.

I suggest you use a like vendor(ati or nvidia) for an added card, simply because it will then use the same unified driver.

As to the GTX680, it is loafing. I never hear the fan, and have no idea of what the temperature is.
If the fan ever spun up, I would check into it. The drivers seem to want to keep power in check.
Running civilization 4, I noticed some stuttering between 30 and 60fps, which is the cap.
I adjusted the profile to max performance mode which pegged it to 60 constantly. What I think was happening is that the driver sensed a low load at times, and reduced the clocks to save power. Even at max performance, now, I don't hear it.

And... this is in a small M-ATX case with only one intake fan running undervolted, and at minimum rpm's.
The GTX680 to my mind is a wonderful card. I do not regret spending $500 on it.

aammrr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello,
which is better
sapphire 7950 flex 3GB for 420$ dual-fan OR
evga gtx 670 4GB for 490$ single-fan

as i search (plz correct me if i am wrong)
the ATI is more flexable and can run more monitors independently
but
the 670 nvidia is faster and has more vram

i did read the other threads but no one considered the diffrent in ram and the flexablity

thanks in advance

check an older thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
gtx 670 no sweat,

you dont need more than 2gb vram unless your gaming with 3monitors all the time.
the speed difference between the gtx 670 and the hd7950 is enough to justify the gtx670.

If you really want flexibility of running 3monitors, get a hd7970 for similar price.

aammrr

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
not trying to be rude but are you dumb?
you have asked this zillion times and the answer is
670>7950.

no hard feelings here .
but no one really commented on the flexablity.
i think what i really need to know is the 670 ability to run 4 independent monitors. and in case if its not could the 7850 flex do that?