Where does Stranglekelp grow?

I have been looking for Stranglekelp all over the place. According to
those Excel sheets somebody posted a link to a few days ago there should
be some in
- Hillsbrad Foothills
- Wetlands
but although I spent quite some time strolling through those areas on
various quests and grinding runs I have never, ever found any yet.

Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
while swimming to get it?

Dazzled greetings
Urbin

--
Urbin (34), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

>I have been looking for Stranglekelp all over the place. According to
>those Excel sheets somebody posted a link to a few days ago there should
>be some in
>- Hillsbrad Foothills
>- Wetlands
>but although I spent quite some time strolling through those areas on
>various quests and grinding runs I have never, ever found any yet.
>
>Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
>Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
>while swimming to get it?

Usually it is under water. Occasionally I see some on the shore near
the water. The best place I have been able to locate it is the
western shore of Ashenvale - Zoram Strand area. I will see some other
areas too, but not with the consistency of Zoram.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 41 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

Lehi wrote:
> >I have been looking for Stranglekelp all over the place. According to
> >those Excel sheets somebody posted a link to a few days ago there should
> >be some in
> >- Hillsbrad Foothills
> >- Wetlands
> >but although I spent quite some time strolling through those areas on
> >various quests and grinding runs I have never, ever found any yet.
> >
> >Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
> >Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
> >while swimming to get it?
>
> Usually it is under water. Occasionally I see some on the shore near
> the water. The best place I have been able to locate it is the
> western shore of Ashenvale - Zoram Strand area. I will see some other
> areas too, but not with the consistency of Zoram.

I have to agree. If you're going to farm stranglekelp, Zoram Strand is
the place to go. Just swim out to the offshore islands and you'll see
it on your radar.

You CAN find it off the shore of the wetlands and Hillsbrad, but it's
not nearly as easy to gather as in ZS.

-Alan
-Lyvanna Lvl60 NE hunter on Thunderhorn

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote in message
>I have been looking for Stranglekelp all over the place. According to
> those Excel sheets somebody posted a link to a few days ago there should
> be some in
> - Hillsbrad Foothills
> - Wetlands
> but although I spent quite some time strolling through those areas on
> various quests and grinding runs I have never, ever found any yet.
>
> Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
> Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
> while swimming to get it?
>
> Dazzled greetings
> Urbin

Menethil Harbour is where I used to get mine, if you use gatherer you will
see where it has been before, theres a place where it spawns alot, and other
places (around the harbour) that only has one node or none.
Always grows underwater as far as I know, so just dive for it, you don't
need to use any water breathing potions :)
Not much in Hillsbrad, just the odd bit I think.

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> I have been looking for Stranglekelp all over the place. According to
> those Excel sheets somebody posted a link to a few days ago there should
> be some in
> - Hillsbrad Foothills

South of southshore, just near the coast. On the whole length of the
cost are about 10 stranglekelp nodes (which made quite a chunk of
my mount money).

> - Wetlands

No idea.

I'd like to add Ashenvale, just follow the rivers and you'll find a lot
of liferoot and stranglekelp.

> but although I spent quite some time strolling through those areas on
> various quests and grinding runs I have never, ever found any yet.

You have that herb tracking ability enabled?

> Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
> Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
> while swimming to get it?

I grows underwater.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (55) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:45:18 +0200, Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> "Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
>
> South of southshore, just near the coast. On the whole length of the
> cost are about 10 stranglekelp nodes (which made quite a chunk of
> my mount money).

Thanks, I'll go have a look there

> I'd like to add Ashenvale, just follow the rivers and you'll find a lot
> of liferoot and stranglekelp.

And I'll give that a try, too

> You have that herb tracking ability enabled?

Actually, it's my default tracking when running all over the world and I
only switch to tracking animals, humanoids etc when I need them.

> > Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
> > Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
> > while swimming to get it?
>
> I grows underwater.

Ah, that might have been one reason why I haven't found any so far...

Thanks to all the others, too, who gave hints on where to find it easily.

Urbin

--
Urbin (34), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sneak (7), Troll Rogue (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gorosh (5), Tauren Druid (PvP) @sunstrider.uk

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:45:18 +0200, Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch>
> wrote:
>> "Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
>>
>> South of southshore, just near the coast. On the whole length of the
>> cost are about 10 stranglekelp nodes (which made quite a chunk of
>> my mount money).
>
> Thanks, I'll go have a look there

What I forgot to mention: In the south east of this farming grounds
is an elite shark hanging around (with a level somewhere between 30
and 40). I never had to go in his aggro range, just keep an eye
open :)

Chris

--

Urbin wrote:
> Does it only grow in specific areas? I would be expecting it near water.
> Or does it actually grow under water? Do I need to go gathering herbs
> while swimming to get it?

In almost every case it's underwater - in one case I found
one on the beach at Zoram Strand (Ashendale). The places
It's not a very high level herb so you may be shooting too
high in the areas you hit - I like to collect in 2 places:
1) off the coast of the Wetlands, and 2) off the coast of
Westfall. I also see it off the shore of Darkshore and
Ashenvale, and I've found it in rare patches around the
lobster cages in south Desolace, and you even see some of
it in aquatic instances. I know I've seen little bits of
it in Mauradan when I go there for mushrooms, and I'd bet it
can be found in Blackfathom Deep and maybe Wailing Caverns.

For out-of-doors collecting (easiest for low levels when you
have the greatest need of it) turn on your herb radar, zoom
it all the way out, and swim out a long way from the shore
so that the land is just visible on the very edge of your
minimap, then start swimming parallel with the coast. If
you have some form of waterbreathing that's ideal, but you
can collect it without that type of special capability.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle