Sign in with
Your question

Do I have a defective motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2012 5:27:34 PM

I've assembled computers before and never encountered something like this.

As soon as power is applied to the new computer, it starts without my pressing the power button on the case.

If I shut the computer down via Windows, then press the power button or reset button, it starts.

If I unplug the power switch header from the motherboard, the computer will start as soon as it's plugged in as well.

Does this sound like a defective motherboard?

Any suggestions on what to try, or should I just ignore it?

Parts list:

mobo: ASUS F1A75-V EVO FM1 AMD A75

cpu: AMD A8-3870K APU with AMD Radeon 6550 HD 

ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM

psu: Corsair Professional Series Gold 750-Watt 80 Plus Gold 

case: LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C60B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

boot drive: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

data drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB

odd: LG Electronics UH12LS29

Thanks for looking.

More about : defective motherboard

a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2012 7:36:01 PM

I would recommend testing with another PSU first, just to be sure, but yes, it does sound like you have a bad motherboard to me.

You could probably ignore it if you wanted, this sounds like a very simple short, and is unlikely to cause any significant problems aside from being annoying. Up to you on that point, but it should be a valid RMA issue.

Feel free to contact me at the email in my signature if you have any issues with the RMA process. I'll see what I can do to smooth things out.
!