im planning on getting a HP ENVY H8 until i learned that the graphics card is crap on it, and to get a better one i need a better power supply and card. can anyone find me some compatible ones that will work for the computer, was hoping to get a gt 640, or a gtx 650, but not sure if it will fit in computer.
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Although upgrading those can be done through HP's website here http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products... , you can custom order from them, you can also do much better (price wise) by upgrading on your own.
If upgrading to a GT640, the included 300W power supply should be adequate. An upgrade to GTX650 and I will recommend a 400W or greater PSU for that.
Lets see what we can do... EVGA 02G-P4-2643-KR GeForce GT 640 for $96 with shipping, HP wants $170, $70 savings
or for the GTX650 upgrade Galaxy 65NGH8DL7AXX GeForce GTX 650 for $105 with shipping, HP doesn't offer that card. A power supply for the GTX650, I would recommend something like this CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W for $46 shipping included, HP wants $100 to upgrade to a 600W (for a GTX660 which they do offer)
The graphics cards linked are representitive samples of what is available. The NewEgg links are used for descriptive purposes only (although I do shop from them)
Hope it helps
But after reading the reviews I can't say I recommend it...
- The other reviews are mostly good or neutral, but it appears that they don't upgrade the PSU when you order it with a 'top of the line' video card, even though the cards are listed as supported.
They also let people buy it with Windows 8 (32-bit) even though the base configuration is 8GB RAM.
- That's piss poor QA demonstrated right there.
- It won't be able to use half the RAM it ships with if people do that (and that is the default, which makes it even worse!).
On a side note, the build quality of the HP ENVY LAPTOPS is much better!
- They might not have the 3D grunt you're after though.
- I can, and do, recommend HP/Compaq laptops.