Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which to upgrade, cpu or gpu?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 8, 2012 6:28:36 PM

Hello,
I have a GeForce GT 9500 for my gpu, and an intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz processor (I know that upgrading the cpu also means motherboard and ram). I am looking to upgrade one of the two. I primarily want to game. Which should I upgrade first?

More about : upgrade cpu gpu

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:40:46 PM

unfortunately both rather behind the times.

What is your budget? upgrading Cpu/mobo would probably not give you much of an increase in performance because you'd still be GPU limited. However, if you buy a new GPU, you would probably be CPU limited.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:47:12 PM

^yes (to blade)

List you computers other components along with your budget. You can get a decent computer for around $300-400 if you don't need a case, psu, optical and hdd.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:50:16 PM

7970 is a great card. But if you buy it without updating your CPU you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

What is your power supply like? looks like you have around $500 to spend is that about right?

I think we could find a good config that will work for you, with an update to both.
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 6:51:03 PM

It is a Dell Inspiron 530 but with a replaced power supply and graphics card. Budget would be $480.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:53:03 PM

What did you replace the power supply with?

What model/Wattage?
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 6:54:13 PM

blade061188 said:
7970 is a great card. But if you buy it without updating your CPU you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

What is your power supply like? looks like you have around $500 to spend is that about right?

I think we could find a good config that will work for you, with an update to both.



PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am planning on upgrading whichever I don't upgrade now as well but in about a year. My main goal is to find what will provide the best increase for the time being.
m
0
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 6:59:07 PM

You could get a nice processor/mobo/GPU combo for that price.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 7:04:44 PM

I would invest in a good new platform. New lines of GPUs come out about every year, each one typically a solid improvement over the last.

As far as gaming goes, as long as you have a farily recent CPU, your games will be GPU bound. If your long term goal is to have a solid system, I would update your mobo and CPU now.

Best performance right now, i would update both:
CPU: SB Core i3 $110 after promo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo: Cheap Asus H61 $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: 8GB GSkill $46
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU Sapphire 7850 $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$486
Share
June 8, 2012 7:06:17 PM

Deemo13 said:
You could get a nice processor/mobo/GPU combo for that price.


I plan on replacing it all but what I really want to know is what should I upgrade first that will be the lesser bottleneck. Go to 7970 or upgrade cpu, motherboard, and ram.
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 7:08:51 PM

blade061188 said:
I would invest in a good new platform. New lines of GPUs come out about every year, each one typically a solid improvement over the last.

As far as gaming goes, as long as you have a farily recent CPU, your games will be GPU bound. If your long term goal is to have a solid system, I would update your mobo and CPU now.

Best performance right now, i would update both:
CPU: SB Core i3 $110 after promo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo: Cheap Asus H61 $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: 8GB GSkill $46
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU Sapphire 7850 $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$486


cpu it is. Thanks
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 7:09:06 PM

Best answer selected by xa376.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 7:12:50 PM

Did you look over the parts I listed?

Honestly, your games would be CPU limited right now. You'd have a lot of GPU Power going to waste with a 7970. A SB core i3 is a solid update from your core 2 duo, and 7850 can handle anything at 1920x1080 right now

What resolution will you be gaming at?
m
0
l
!