Qeustion about PSU and possible case

musicmelody

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I'm trying to get advice and input on my final build.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

I already have a Corsair Builder Series 500W PSU, and I'm re using the HDD and optical drive from old PC.

I will be gaming, audio and video editing, schoolwork, the usual on this PC.

My main question is, this case, is there a better one? I've heard stories about the HAF 912, and the Antec 300, and the Bitfenix Shinobi.

Can that PSU handle overclocking and room to expand?

My main concerns are cooling, ability to expand and upgrade, overclocking, and up-to-date peripherals.

I also have a post in the motherboard section pertaining to the MoBo if you want to reply there about it.

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
The PSU does effect overclocking. It's the stability of your rails and overall wattagge.

This PSu should be absolutely fine for that.

You haven't got a GPU in that build along with a weak processor so it wont be good for gaming.

That case is fine. I love the 912 as it has huge cooling potential. Might be needed with you ocing that already hot processor.

musicmelody

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Just curious, the Cougar solution says to have good cooling too, comparing the two, what does the 912 have that the cougar doesn't? Also why is that processor not good for gaming? Is there a better one in that price range? I will be getting a GPU in the next few months but for right now my budget won't allow it, and most of the gaming I do right now is okay-ish, and will be better when I get an upgrade (my current PCU is ony 2.2 ghz dual core amd). So I will be re-using my old video card, which is a 5570 for now, small yes but it does decent. When I do upgrade in the spring/summer when I get another job (I do summer yard work) I will be aiming for a 7850 2G model depending on what else is out there in that price range (150 to 190 dollars).

One thing I forgot to state in my original post is right now I'm working off of a 320 USD budget.

And as far as the Corsair being able to deliver an actual 500W, I don't know but I have heard that it is one of the best PSU brands out there, I still have the opportunity to return it and buy something else, like a 600W by the same brand if you all think I should. (only 10 dollars more)