Windows 7 vs Windows xp for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hello, I am in the process of building a new budget gaming desktop for myself, and I had question that may sound pretty dumb to most people xD. Which is better for gaming, Windows xp or Windows 7. I know XP is "Old" by now, but I know quite a few people who still use it for gaming builds. Not sure if they don't know what they are doing or what, but I thought I would come here for the answer. This is regarding modern day gaming by the way, BF3, SC2, etc.

On top of this, which model is better for gaming. 64-bit or 32-bit? I have done some research online, but like with many things, you get so much of people whose opinion goes both ways, and I usually end up more confused!

I most likely will need to buy a new OS, unless I stick with 32-bit XP, so this is why I was wondering. Thanks for your time.

D

Deleted member 217926

When Windows 7 was relaeased there were quite a few studies done asking this same question. It was found that Windows 7 was slightly more efficiect thus making it a better OS for gaming.

As brett said above you want the 64 bit version because with the 32 bit version you are limkited to about 3.25 GB of RAM. 64 bit does not have this limitation.

There are other reasons to upgrade to Windows 7 beyond gaming. Windows 7 is a much safer and much more stable OS. Also Microsoft is ending the life of XP in 2 years. That means no more updates, no new drivers and no new security updates. So if you have the chance to go with Windows 7 now you might as well do it before you are forced to do it in two years.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you guys so much. Answered quickly and efficiently without making me confused haha. Next question which is probably harder, is where is a cheap place to buy windows 7 64-bit :/. I am a college student so I might be able to get a student discount if that is the only way I can get it for cheap, but do you guys know any places that offer this or offer Win7 for everyone for cheaper?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Not all games that worked in WinXP will work in Win 7 even in compatability mode. Just take a look at Steam and its lineup ands their respective OS listing.

I myself had an older XP game's copy protection corrupt my Win 7 install so badly that I had to reinstall Windows.

That is why I have my system as a dual boot setup. Even then I get the odd hiccup with my video setup. I have a second older XP PC for those need to play older titles.

If all you want to do is use the newest software that is made for Win 7 then you do not need to worry about what OS you need.

swoz

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

If you're in school, you can get a student discount on Windows, either directly through the school (talk to someone in IT) or through Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/ca/windows/buynow/default.aspx).

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

how the hell did you manage that?

first time ive heard that.

ive installed loads of xp games on my win7 x64 professional. the worst ive had is the game wont load

not even a bsod

+1 ^^^ sounds like the real problem was sitting at the pc not the games...

windows 7 is the better option now. it looses nothing to xp unlike vista which was less efficient for gaming...
if you have 4 gigs of ram then 64 bit is the only option but if you have 2 gig then stick with 32bit. 4 gig isnt necessary for gaming 2gig will do just fine. it really does bother me that every 1 is saying 64 bit when its just not needed unless you have 4 gigs or more but as i say most games wont use more than 2 when i say most i mean 99%. even if the game is 64bit the chances are it wont use more than 2 gigs also...
in real terms most gamers have way to much memory and most of the time its just sitting there doing nothing.

larkspur

Distinguished

Hmmmm, you haven't heard of the Large Address Aware flag then.

While games are mostly limited to 2gbs of use, the OS is going to use RAM also for various overhead.

A system with 2gb of ram will not have enough to handle modern games when you consider the additional overhead. That is why 4gb is recommended as a minimum for new systems. Why buy a 32-bit OS and limit yourself?

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Also double check with your bookstore before ordering the student version online. Many Universities bookstores are able to sell you a W7 Pro upgrade disc for about $20. Since you stated you already have XP that would be the least expensive route to go.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

if you live in us

you can buy it direct from microsoft for that i think

actually yes i have heard of LAA who do you think introduced the guys in the games forum to it... for skyrim... applying it to the 32bit o.s wont make it magically use more than 4 gigs because its a physical limit imposed by 32bit addressing, which in real terms is only 24bit addressing. LAA only really works if you use a 64bit o.s and apply LAA to a 32bit game that you installed on it. so shouting use LAA doesn't really make sense does it...

you may not like the fact that 32bit still has a place but i dont mind it. after all it costs less to own and run a system with it on and a pc that surfs the web and answers emails doesnt need huge amounts of ram... not every 1 uses there pc's for games and even if they do game on em there unlikely to play the latest greatest on a small machine that isnt designed for games, but rather play minecraft or angry birds... the latest games doesnt always mean the system killers...

the sheer amount of people that come on here with under spec hardware, wanting to play bf3 baffles me most times. most people wont even open there pc to clean it never mind upgrade it. so you have to take that into account when answering questions...

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Found out that a comp class I am taking this semester allows students a free copy of Win 7 for being in the class! How awesome is that! Thanks guys. Got 64 bit and am loving it. BF3 plays on ultra/high with msaa at about 60fps, everything else runs fine. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.