Life span of a CPU

I am using Intel Pentium D 945 (ark.intel.com/products/27520/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-945-4M-Cache-3_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB) since October 2006..
All other component of my PC is changed since then..
I am just concerned about the life of my CPU..
13 answers Last reply
More about life span
  1. A CPU should last at least 10 years unoverclocked.
  2. It's no concern really although it's pretty damn slow.

It will become overly slow before it dies.
  3. as long as you keep it at reasonable temps and dont run it too hard (voltage) you should easily replace it before it will ever die, i have never had a cpu die on me
  4. At stock settings you could get 25 years from a CPU.
    8-10 years if it's overclocked constantly.
  5. Your Pentium will probably get a good life. I have one Willamette based Pentium 4 machine thats over 10 years old, and one Prescott based thats turning 10 in 2014. More modern CPUs have the possibility of 40 years. And I know the CPU of my Texas Instruments 99/4A home computer is about 30 years old.
  6. Thank you!!
    I feel its pretty slow with the latest applications I use with it!!
  7. saurabh015 said:
    Thank you!!
    I feel its pretty slow with the latest applications I use with it!!

If you could, switch to Linux. That OS runs like BUTTER on older CPUs.
    I run all the older machines on Linux - they run better because Linux, unlike Windows, has REALLY good resource management.
  8. My SNES still works, as does my NES. I know plenty of people with Amigas and C64s. Hell, my local computer shop has a Speccy in the window! (Don't think it's for sale sadly, but still need to ask!)

A well looked after computer will often last to obsoletion rather than death.
  9. payturr said:
    Linux, unlike Windows, has REALLY good resource management.

+1 yep I totally agree with that
  10. I don't thing CPU lifespan itself would be an issue. Instead, your CPU will feels relatively slower and slower until you will finally be pressured to buy a new cpu just to run that omfg super kickass game/software on windows 13.
  11. While I haven't the MTBF for our processors I am sure that it is going to end up being 8+ years of running 24/7 at normal temperatures.
  12. What does MTBF stands for?
  13. Mean time between failure.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Processors