For $200 that looks alright if you are set on AMD.
- Have you considered the more modern GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3?, the AMD970 is a better chip-set than the old AMD760G
- I don't know if the AMD760G has a PCI Express v2.0 x16 or v1.1/v1.0 x16 slot...
A $69 to $89 dollar LGA1155 motherboard and a $119 Core i3 at 3.3GHz might be better if you're planning on gaming on it.
- That's $10 more or less than what I suspect you are looking to spend ($200).
A 2.90 GHz Intel Core i# processor is likely to outperform the power hungry AMD Phenom II X4 965 even with it running at 3.40GHz.
Feel free to look up benchmarks to double check.
Plus you can upgrade to a Core i5 or even a Core i7 down the track
- Socket AM3+ has limited upgrade options (that make any sense...).
- Yeah, the Core i3 is a better performer, even at the same price point and at a lower clock speed (and thus noise level and power consumption will be lower too!).
- Even at 100MHz lower clock speed it performs about +27% better in games when push comes to shove.
- I'm assuming you're a gamer as you're here...