Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pentium d extreme edition 955 and 965

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2012 9:25:56 AM

i dont own these cpus .... im just curios about them as they both have hyperthreading and dual core .... now back then when they was relaesed mulitthreaded games and software was relatively small and now its 2012 every is designed for multicore /multithreaded cpus now the pentium d 965 and 955 both are four cores 2 real 2 logical .......how would gta iv perform with the proper amount of video card power behind it .... or multitasking etc .... just curiosty hopeing someone can someone can offer a good answer to this pref with experience of these 2 cpu is in the last year or 2
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 11:04:50 AM

Firstly, both of those processors are much older than two years, they're closer to a decade old now!

Remember: The Intel® 'Core™2 Duo' is +116% more powerful, clock for clock, than an Intel® 'Pentium® D'!
- As in +16% more than twice as fast!

This is why the Athlon 64 X2's were so popular, back in their day
- http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045/16
- AMD's budget CPU outperformed Intel's best CPU

Needless to say Intel has learned from that, the current Core i3/i5/i7 extend that lead even more.
- The Core i7 has a better 6th++ generation implementation of SMT/HyperThreading.

The Pentium D gains from it heaps, in non-HT software it's performance per clock was pretty dismal.
- Not enough for any post 2007 game though...

Today's games are optimized using a compiler that creates machine code that targets the Intel Core i3/i5
- The code created wouldn't run very well on a Pentium 4 era CPU, which is all the Pentium D with HT is, two Pentium 4's glued together.
- In fact it may even execute more slowly than compiled code that targeted a stock 6th gen CPU.

All of the old CPU's, excluding the AthlonXP/MP+, lacked issue width, they were not super-scalar like today's processors are.
- In fact AMD has probably LEAPED backwards in x87/SSE performance with it's fake 8 core processors.
- They were super-scalar, just no-where near as super-scalar as the Core i3/i5/i7.
December 13, 2012 4:16:28 PM

ino there old cpus but what im saying software and games have become more multithreaded in the last 2 years so i would of assumed they would peformed semi decent in to day world ...
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
December 13, 2012 9:55:57 PM

You forget that the day to day world those cpu's lived in are not the same workload that todays cpu's handle with ease. Both those cpus would just crawl on facebook. How do I know? I tried rebuilding an old Pent D system for a friend last year and once I hit facebook I was so disappointed in its performance I threw it out instead and this was a processor I used to run at nearly 4ghz overclocked.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2012 7:39:48 PM

02hudsond said:
ino there old cpus but what im saying software and games have become more multithreaded in the last 2 years so i would of assumed they would peformed semi decent in to day world ...

they are decent
i am running on one, as i post right now, i played gta IV one hour ago, with 9800Gt , 4 gb ddr2 800 (2x2 dual channel) and pentium D 955
it works well, not over 30 fps in any moment, but very ok
there is no game i can't play with this cpu, with the right video card and the right video settings...i can run anything
those who say it crawls on facebook don't know what they are talking about, probably never had pentium D extreme, they just tried pentium D
the diference is as big as it was betwen pentium 4 non-ht and HT. same situation..there were people who said HT does not bring anything..but as i runned crysis 2 recently, on a prescott 3 ghz, 2 giga ddr1 and hd 3850 agp, i noticed that with HT disabled i had like 5-6 fps, and with HT enabled i had minimum 15. So it matters in gaming, and yes pentium D 955/965 and probably 820, all extreme editions, are DECENT cpu in gaming requireing multi core/thread
December 29, 2012 5:10:01 AM

hafijur said:
pentium d you could get away with on same games like gta 4 and low requirement games like trackmania, toca 3 but a core 2 duo at 2.4ghz would trouce any pentium d and take half the power to run.

Anyway I currently have a desktop q9300 and my current p7350 25w 2ghz c2d will outperform the fastest pentium extreme edition 2core at 3.73ghz and take 1/5th of the electricity.

The fastest pentium d is not even in the top 300 cpu's. I am currently about to get a core i5 3317u 17w that is like 3x faster then a pentium d cpu that is 95w. Thats like a 17w performing similar to 3 pentium d totalling lets say 285w-17w=268w less for same performance against 3 pentium d if you could use all 3 together.

i can play any game with pentium D 955 extreme edition
it scores 1300 in passmark, like core2duo e4600
with low settings for some games...u can play ANYTHING
December 29, 2012 5:19:02 AM

hafijur said:
pentium d you could get away with on same games like gta 4 and low requirement games like trackmania, toca 3 but a core 2 duo at 2.4ghz would trouce any pentium d and take half the power to run.

Anyway I currently have a desktop q9300 and my current p7350 25w 2ghz c2d will outperform the fastest pentium extreme edition 2core at 3.73ghz and take 1/5th of the electricity.

The fastest pentium d is not even in the top 300 cpu's. I am currently about to get a core i5 3317u 17w that is like 3x faster then a pentium d cpu that is 95w. Thats like a 17w performing similar to 3 pentium d totalling lets say 285w-17w=268w less for same performance against 3 pentium d if you could use all 3 together.

remember he is not asking about simple pentium D, but about Pentium D EE
for instance : Pentium D 945 3.4 ghz scores 780 in passmark while Pentium D 955 3.46 ghz scores 1300, u think that's from the extra 0.06 ghz or from the HT and higher FSB? (cache is equal, 4 mb)
December 29, 2012 5:19:59 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Firstly, both of those processors are much older than two years, they're closer to a decade old now!

Remember: The Intel® 'Core™2 Duo' is +116% more powerful, clock for clock, than an Intel® 'Pentium® D'!
- As in +16% more than twice as fast!

This is why the Athlon 64 X2's were so popular, back in their day
- http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045/16
- AMD's budget CPU outperformed Intel's best CPU

Needless to say Intel has learned from that, the current Core i3/i5/i7 extend that lead even more.
- The Core i7 has a better 6th++ generation implementation of SMT/HyperThreading.

The Pentium D gains from it heaps, in non-HT software it's performance per clock was pretty dismal.
- Not enough for any post 2007 game though...

Today's games are optimized using a compiler that creates machine code that targets the Intel Core i3/i5
- The code created wouldn't run very well on a Pentium 4 era CPU, which is all the Pentium D with HT is, two Pentium 4's glued together.
- In fact it may even execute more slowly than compiled code that targeted a stock 6th gen CPU.

All of the old CPU's, excluding the AthlonXP/MP+, lacked issue width, they were not super-scalar like today's processors are.
- In fact AMD has probably LEAPED backwards in x87/SSE performance with it's fake 8 core processors.
- They were super-scalar, just no-where near as super-scalar as the Core i3/i5/i7.

Programs are not compiled just for any Intel CPU. They are machine code, nothing special. The only way they are optimized for a specific processor is if it's using a JIT compiler which compiles the code when you run the program. AMD's CPUs are not that bad for multithreading, they just have 64 bit floating point limitations but run very smooth. Other then that Intel bought out Havok which is used in a lot of games because they wanted to change it so the games will run better using Intel's so called "features" while trying to make AMD CPUs not run as well so they can make more sales. Intel makes good CPUs, but they are overpriced and not anything that I'm gonna spend money on anytime soon.
December 29, 2012 10:32:40 AM

well...i think we should move the discussion beyong "should " and "would".
i HAVE pentium D extreme and its going great....i have 3 desktops, 1 phenom II 1090T, 1 phenom x3 8650 and 1 pentium D extreme.
i can tell you that x3 8650 and Pentium 955 work the same
!