Should I get the Radeon 6870 or the GTX 560?

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
So I'm pretty new to building computers. I've done some research, watched some videos and now that I'm pretty sure I know what I"m doing, I'm looking to build my first computer that I will be using primarily for gaming.

I've gotten it all down to the graphics card. Being on a fairly tight budget, i didn't intend to spend any more than approximately 130 bucks on the video card and was originally going to go with the 550 ti (which had a nice sale for 114 dollars I believe), but I decided to push it up a bit to about 160-170.

Now I'm stuck between the Radeon HD 6870 and the GTX 560 (not ti, of course). Which should I get? As far as I can tell from the small amount of research I've done, the general consensus is that the 6870 is a little better but it doesn't have anywhere near the overclocking ability of the 560.
I'm still not sure if overclocking is something I want to do, but I probably will go ahead at some point. So which will give me the most bang for my buck without overclocking? What about with overclocking?

Solution
The points which turn the decision in favor of the 560 are:
- The 560 is well known to overclock very well. The 6870, on the other hand, has very little overclocking headroom. When overclocking, the 560 decisively pulls ahead in performance.
- More of the current popular game titles favor the 560 and Nvidia cards in general (BF3 and Skyrim to name a couple).
- Nvidia has more unique driver level features that cannot be matched by the AMD counterpart. Among these are PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, and Ambient Occlusion, to name a few.

If you don't plan to overclock, don't play any of the Nvidia-favored games, and don't care about the driver features, then get whichever one is cheaper. Obviously, I recommend the 560. Even if it costs...
The points which turn the decision in favor of the 560 are:
- The 560 is well known to overclock very well. The 6870, on the other hand, has very little overclocking headroom. When overclocking, the 560 decisively pulls ahead in performance.
- More of the current popular game titles favor the 560 and Nvidia cards in general (BF3 and Skyrim to name a couple).
- Nvidia has more unique driver level features that cannot be matched by the AMD counterpart. Among these are PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, and Ambient Occlusion, to name a few.

If you don't plan to overclock, don't play any of the Nvidia-favored games, and don't care about the driver features, then get whichever one is cheaper. Obviously, I recommend the 560. Even if it costs a few dollars more, its worth it.

Solution

TheScarecrow97

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Okay, thank you very much! I plan to play BF3 on it so the 560 sounds like the way to go for me. Thanks again.