What power supply do i need?

sqoh

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hey guys,
I just bought a Core i5-3570K CPU, a Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard and Corsair 8GB RAM. First time trying to build a PC used mainly for long hours of gaming and general use and was wondering what type of power supply i need to support these compoments. Havent really looked into graphics cards, coolers or harddrives yet but if any of you have some in mind that would help me out alot.

Thankyou, Sqoh.

sqoh

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I still need a Graphics Card, HDD, NIC and some sort of CPU cooler, haven't really looked into these yet.
My budget would be ~£150 for each component but would be willing to spend more if needed.
As it is my first build I would love some advice on all compents.

jemm

Distinguished
I understand you´re asking for advise on graphics cards, coolers and HDD. Your CPU, Mobo, RAM comb is really good, so it deserves a good graphics card!

The Radeon HD 7850 2 GB is a very good deal at the moment, as its price went down a bit. This card needs at least a 500W PSU, but as you may want to overclock, then it is a good idea to have an extra room, a 600W of a good brand (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic) PSU is recommended.

There are some good deals on HDD, but if you really want performance for your system, then get a SSD too! :)

sqoh

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks alot, Yeah that looks like a good card within my budget I'll look into it.

So really anything with 600W+ from a well known brand would be ok with my that graphics card and what i already have?
Is it possible for PSU being too powerful for components?

And yeah i was thinking about a Solid State and might just get one now, thanks for your advice.

sqoh

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks alot, Yeah that looks like a good card within my budget I'll look into it.

So really anything with 600W+ from a well known brand would be ok with my that graphics card and what i already have?
Is it possible for PSU being too powerful for components?

And yeah i was thinking about a Solid State and might just get one now, thanks for your advice.

mi1ez

Splendid

4 items @£150 each =£600, correct?

Now, you don't need a NIC, you can get an air cooler for about £50.

That leaves us with £550 for storage and GPU. Plus PSU of course.

You can get a decent Corsair from scan (the CX500 as I recall) for under £50. Leaves us £500.

Do you want an SSD and HDD or just HDD?

sqoh

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, got held up with work and study.

I don't need a NIC because it is intergrated on my motherboard? will this decrease speeds compared to an independent NIC?

I took a look at the CX500 seems like a good choice. Would 500W be enough? even if i went for The Radeon HD 7850 2 GB?
I don't think ill be overclocking.

I think ill go for a solid state after reading a few things online, they seem like the better choice.

So all things considered i now have: MB, CPU, RAM, Graphics Card, PSU, Cooler and SSD if one of you lovely guys could recommend one :D?

Thanks, Sqoh.