Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What you think of the build im about to get!?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 30, 2012 9:23:53 PM

Hello everybody,on the 1st of Aug i will ordering my first build.And i just want to know your opinions on it,tell me what you think.


Intel CPU Core i7 2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
3GB MSI Radeon HD 7970 OC
Corsair TX750 V2 750W Power Supply
16GB 2X8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Ram
Seagate 2TB Barracuda 6GB/s 64MB
Samsung SH-222BB/RSMS 22x DVD Writer SATA
Antec KUHLER H2O 620 CPU Liquid Cooler 2
NZXT Phantom White/Red LED Full


Thanks guys!

More about : build

July 30, 2012 9:42:47 PM

1: get the i7 3770k instead of the 2600k as it is better. if you are mainly gaming, get a i5 3570k as it performs the same

2: get a z77 board like the gigabyte z77x-ud5h.

3:id rather get a gtx670 as they perform the same and consume less power. a good one is the asus gtx670 top edition (out of stock since asus is probably holding it off until they can fix the v-bios since there was stability issues.) if you cant find the top edition, get the regular asus 670

4: id upgrade to a xfx xxx 750w psu instead since it is more efficent and modular to a degree. they sell for 112.99 at us.ncix.com

5: id just get some gskill ares 4x4gb 1600mhz since they are pretty cheap. nobody is going to use 32gb unless you are doing some hardcore video editing

6: just get a nice heatsink like the noctua nh-d14 instead and it would cool much better. its also quieter as well

7: id usually recommend the corsair 500r black but if you like the nzxt phantom, id get the phantom 410 since the regular phantom has space that you will never really use
July 30, 2012 9:58:42 PM

TheBigTroll said:
1: get the i7 3770k instead of the 2600k as it is better. if you are mainly gaming, get a i5 3570k as it performs the same

2: get a z77 board like the gigabyte z77x-ud5h.

3:id rather get a gtx670 as they perform the same and consume less power. a good one is the asus gtx670 top edition (out of stock since asus is probably holding it off until they can fix the v-bios since there was stability issues.) if you cant find the top edition, get the regular asus 670

4: id upgrade to a xfx xxx 750w psu instead since it is more efficent and modular to a degree. they sell for 112.99 at us.ncix.com

5: id just get some gskill ares 4x4gb 1600mhz since they are pretty cheap. nobody is going to use 32gb unless you are doing some hardcore video editing

6: just get a nice heatsink like the noctua nh-d14 instead and it would cool much better. its also quieter as well

7: id usually recommend the corsair 500r black but if you like the nzxt phantom, id get the phantom 410 since the regular phantom has space that you will never really use



First can i say thanks for the message,

So

1.I do alot of video editing,im a youtube partner and make alot of video's.So should i still get the "i7 3770k",as i have maxed my budget but could squeeze up i guess.

2.Why a z77!? :)  Someone said that a z68 works great and unlocks features or something on the i7 etc.!?

3.I have a different topic thing here ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/363600-15-help-7970... ) and most people are saying get the 7970 over the GTX 670!? hmm!?

4.BUDGET! :(  Wish i could but as money is tight i need to stick to that one

5.And you said it there "unless you are doing some hardcore video editing" i edit alot and use alot of 3d modelling programs so i need ram :)  and want to be able to upgrade if i have too!

6.Would that defiantly get better temps!? If so that great,i shall get it then.i just wanted the Antec one as it was nice and small :) 

7.I love the look of the case,and i might get the 410 it also had a glass panel too which is nice :) 
Related resources
July 30, 2012 10:10:38 PM

you get z77 since its ivy bridge that you are using for the chip. if you are on a budget, id get a asus z77-v LK. offers a few less features but has the same basic functions necessary for a low price. saves you 50 bucks

a 7970 is good for higher resolutions but for 1080p, the 670 is better.

with the 50 bucks saved, now you can get the psu

if you must use 32gb of memory in the future, get this instead. it will actually fit under a heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you are looking for even more budget friendly options, a hyper 212 evo or hyper 212 plus would still beat the single thin radiator coolers. there isnt too much difference between the evo and plus other than the evo being a handful of degrees cooler

at this level, id seriously recommend getting a SSD to boost boot speeds (SSD boot: 10 sec HDD boot: 40-60 sec). there is one currently at newegg selling for 84.99 after promo codes. its the samsung 830 128gb (one of the top SSDs out there). id buy this first since it is a great deal. and you are a partner for youtube so you can probably wait a while for the ad money to pool up for the other components

July 30, 2012 10:27:21 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you get z77 since its ivy bridge that you are using for the chip. if you are on a budget, id get a asus z77-v LK. offers a few less features but has the same basic functions necessary for a low price. saves you 50 bucks

a 7970 is good for higher resolutions but for 1080p, the 670 is better.

with the 50 bucks saved, now you can get the psu

if you must use 32gb of memory in the future, get this instead. it will actually fit under a heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you are looking for even more budget friendly options, a hyper 212 evo or hyper 212 plus would still beat the single thin radiator coolers. there isnt too much difference between the evo and plus other than the evo being a handful of degrees cooler

at this level, id seriously recommend getting a SSD to boost boot speeds (SSD boot: 10 sec HDD boot: 40-60 sec). there is one currently at newegg selling for 84.99 after promo codes. its the samsung 830 128gb (one of the top SSDs out there). id buy this first since it is a great deal. and you are a partner for youtube so you can probably wait a while for the ad money to pool up for the other components


Ok,so i will get the "Ivybridge Ready Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77" and the "XFX XXX Edition 750w!"
And on the website im using (scan.co.uk) i cant find that ram,which is annoying cause i want one that will defiantly fit under heatsink. I am indeed buying a SSD,just not now but very soon.And as far as GTX 670 or 7970 i really dont know what to get.


July 30, 2012 10:42:59 PM

could have said so earlier that you are in the UK.

tbh, i would just start off with 4x8gb ram since they are binned specially so that they run better together. manufacturers often change the way and the materials for their ram in all the batches that they make so that they can save money. getting 2x8gb now and getting it in the future (ddr4 will replace ddr3 in 2014-2015) might be completely different batches sometimes causing compatabilty issues.

heres the cheapest prices for everything

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/drIv

the psu you will have to get it at overclockers since the amazon one is the wrong model
July 30, 2012 10:57:38 PM

TheBigTroll said:
could have said so earlier that you are in the UK.

tbh, i would just start off with 4x8gb ram since they are binned specially so that they run better together. manufacturers often change the way and the materials for their ram in all the batches that they make so that they can save money. getting 2x8gb now and getting it in the future (ddr4 will replace ddr3 in 2014-2015) might be completely different batches sometimes causing compatabilty issues.

heres the cheapest prices for everything

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/drIv

the psu you will have to get it at overclockers since the amazon one is the wrong model


Based in Ireland actually,just we got no good shops here.Its low profile ram i need to get right!? And to be honest i will be rendering and editing some crazy 3d animations as soon as i get this thing(video series for Machinima),so i dont mind forking out more money down the line if i have too,Would this work!?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-lp-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-10-10-10-27

And as far as the psu,is it this one!?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-xfx-xxx-p1-750b-ukb...

Thanks for all this help man!
July 30, 2012 11:01:11 PM

yep thats the right stuff

whats your youtube channel name and what do you do? might sub
July 30, 2012 11:16:57 PM

great! i will sub right now
July 30, 2012 11:18:53 PM

TheBigTroll said:
great! i will sub right now


Thanks,what you think of the "NZXT Havik" it seems like a great heatsink and looks good!
July 30, 2012 11:37:29 PM

nah id stick with the hyper 212 evo. it should get you 4.2ghz easily with no voltage increase on the cpu
July 30, 2012 11:40:29 PM

TheBigTroll said:
nah id stick with the hyper 212 evo. it should get you 4.2ghz easily with no voltage increase on the cpu


I really like the NH-D14 it just looks ugly ahah! I think ill get it anyway!
July 30, 2012 11:46:21 PM

a hyper 212 will do

@photo: thats a xl-atx board
July 30, 2012 11:57:46 PM

TheBigTroll said:
its not necessary if you dont overclock too much.

i warn you right now: the noctua is slightly smaller than a regulation soccer ball. it weighs 2 pounds (a 100g under a kg)

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=685...


Yeah its way to big and ugly,i might get the hyper 212 evo then,watching reviews.It it quite!?
July 31, 2012 12:02:27 AM

the hyper 212 isnt too quiet at load. the noctua can be run passively if you really want to though. if you want to make the 212 more quiet, you can get some aftermarket fans like the corsair sp120 quiet edition 2-pack and run push pull

i have a nh-d14 myself and my friend has a 212 evo.

if you are looking for silence, i can recommend a new build
July 31, 2012 12:05:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the hyper 212 isnt too quiet at load. the noctua can be run passively if you really want to though. if you want to make the 212 more quiet, you can get some aftermarket fans like the corsair sp120 quiet edition 2-pack and run push pull

i have a nh-d14 myself and my friend has a 212 evo.

if you are looking for silence, i can recommend a new build


Well as i do live commentary's i cant have a fan noise in the background,but i also want low temps and something that looks decent.Thanks for all the help so far!
July 31, 2012 12:08:57 AM

no problem. you can hide the system under the desk or something and it shouldnt be heard.

you could go out and find a fan speed reducer. they make the fan run at 7v instead of the 12v so that it runs slower

just dont be rendering the video when you commentate so you dont hear a computer
July 31, 2012 9:31:09 AM

TheBigTroll said:
no problem. you can hide the system under the desk or something and it shouldnt be heard.

you could go out and find a fan speed reducer. they make the fan run at 7v instead of the 12v so that it runs slower

just dont be rendering the video when you commentate so you dont hear a computer



So i just go with the the hyper 212 evo then!?
!