Sign in with
Your question

Power supply manual tell you how to connect it up?

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2012 1:15:40 PM

hey, i want to build my own pc and i just want to make sure that when i purchase a power supply, does the instruction manual tell me where all the leads go on the motherboard and etc?

many thanks
December 13, 2012 1:21:39 PM

Don't worry, when you build a PC, there won't be too many leads you'll have to connect. You'll know what goes where. Side note though, the plugs that say PCI-E are for your graphics card(s) and the one that says EPS or CPU is for well, obviously your CPU. The big plug, well I don't really need to explain, you can't miss it.
Hell, I figured out how to build a computer by looking at my first prebuilt :p  It's seriously easy.

Edit: And to answer your question, yeah, the instruction manual will probably tell you, if not, then your motherboard's instruction manual will.
December 13, 2012 1:29:41 PM

-Jackson said:
Don't worry, when you build a PC, there won't be too many leads you'll have to connect. You'll know what goes where. Side note though, the plugs that say PCI-E are for your graphics card(s) and the one that says EPS or CPU is for well, obviously your CPU. The big plug, well I don't really need to explain, you can't miss it.
Hell, I figured out how to build a computer by looking at my first prebuilt :p  It's seriously easy.

Edit: And to answer your question, yeah, the instruction manual will probably tell you, if not, then your motherboard's instruction manual will.

thank you so much :) 
Related resources
December 13, 2012 1:38:17 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The plugs are usually marked up as to function, some like the 20+4 pin cannot be mistaken for any other cable, but
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step... may help you, and theres a good pic here of the different plugs,
http://www.****/id/Power-Supply-For-Arduino-power-and-breadboard/step2/The-diagram/
The 4 pic Cpu shown there may be a splt 2x4 on your Psu, they click together to make it an 8pin which most motherboards use these days,
You may have 6+2 Pcie plugs as some gfx cards take 8pin blocks as well, and ignore the P6Dell plug,Aux and video power plugs its a Dell/homebuild specific thing and won't be on a retail Psu
Moto

thanks, your second link didnt work for some reason though
December 13, 2012 1:44:45 PM

All you really have to do is just match the plug shapes :D  Just make sure you're using the right plugs though..
!