CPU is overheating and shutting off?

Coookie

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello all, new to the forum. I hope I posted this is in the correct category.

I'm in need of some help.

I bought a used PC from a friend but since I've had it it hasn't worked as it should.

As the title suggests, my CPU (AMD Athlon II X4 620) is getting very hot and I'm not sure why - even when idling in Windows.
Lack of cooling? I have 2 after-market fans and a Artic Freezer 13 Heatsink/Fan, I cleaned this out today and removed dust.
While I had it off I looked at the Thermal Paste, which had too much on so I cleaned it off and re-applied it.

Also, I think my CPU has some self-protection installed because my PC just dies when the cpu gets to ~100c.

After putting the thermal paste on again - 2 grains of rice, spread over the cpu with an old credit card - I expected the temps to be high as the paste has to bed in, however, It will load windows and on CoreTemp I just watch my CPU temp go up....90...91...92...etc.

I've also gone into BIOS and set everything to default - no luck
and then I lowered the voltage and CPU speed frequency, but it still just kills itself in an attempt to lower temps.

The only thing I can think of is a) broken CPU or b) Heatsink isn't fitted right.

All the screws are in securely on the heatsink and it seems stable?

I've seen the computer working fine round my friends, so why not now?

Any ideas guys?
Thanks for help, it's really appreciated.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
OK first thing is:

1. Contact the seller(your friend) and find out if he had such issues with it previously.
2. It's usually only one grain of rice not two (when applying thermal paste)
3. Are you sure it is fitted on correctly?
4. Is it getting enough ventilation. Also check your temps in the BIOS menu too.
5. Try to remove the CPU and re fit it again VERY GENTLY!
6. The CPU is faulty

Coookie

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for replying gents.

All the screws (6) are in securely. How would I check to see if my heatsink is actually touching the CPU?

only way to check if its actually touching it properly is to remove it and look at how the thermal paste spread

i assume the cpu fan is spinning?--have seen people take the cpu fan out to clean it before and put it back in with the fan wire between the fan blades which stopped it spinning

did you look at the back of the motherboard to check the push pins were engaged properly?

or just from the inside of the case?

Coookie

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
My fan wire isn't caught up in the fan, and my heatsink has paste on it (that I put onto the CPU) so they are definitely in contact.

I'm not sure what push pins are, so I can't check them.

Any other ideas? Really frustrating.

the push pins hold the retention bracket to the motherboard

if they arent properly engaged then contact isnt as good as it should be

take off the side panel of the pc and look at the back of the motherboard

the pins should be fully through the holes and engaged

this is a very common problem with push pin heatsinks

edit--this is what they should look like when properly engaged

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/img/data/articles/2004/1215/02-clip_mobo_back.jpg