Sign in with
Your question

Is my PSU good enough?

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2012 1:56:57 PM

Hi,

My computer keeps restarting randomly and I've a feeling it might be to do with my PSU, either not good enough, or broken.

I built everything from scratch, here's the setup.

Motherboard: P8Z77-VPRO

CPU - INTEL i7 3770k Socket 1155.

RAM: 4 x DDR3 4GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 660TI

SSD: INTEL 160GB

HARD DRIVE: 3GB INTERNAL HARD DRIVE

HARD DRIVE: 3GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (USB connected)

1 x Blu-Ray DVD/RW
2x DVD/RW

PSU: ANTEC 750W HIGH CURRENT PRO.

I have 3 12v1/HDD ports on the PSU,

The first one has a Blu Ray Drive connected to it along with 2 other DVD/RW using the 3 splitters on the cable.

The second one has my SSD & External Hard drive along with another fan connected to it using the 3 molex connections on the cable.

The third one is connected to the 3 case fans using the 3 molex connections.

I have a feeling that something might be wrong, or I can set this up better than it is.

Using the AI Suite my voltages are

V core 1.008V (ish)

+12V running at 12.288V
+ 5V running at 5.120V
+ 3V running at 3.376V

CPU temp at 33degrees
Motherboard temp at 28degrees

I would appreciate any info on this as it is really annoying me when the computer just restarts itself at random times.

Thanks.

Josh.

More about : psu good

December 14, 2012 12:11:48 PM

I know I'm not supposed to bump this but It's really bugging me and I don't know why it's doing it. It only does it now and then but it shouldn't be doing it at all.

I've taken 2 of my DVD Drives away so it's just left with one, I did used to use all 3 at the one time and it used to shut down and restart so I started only using one, which was fine but then two days ago I wasn't using any and it just turned off in the middle of using Photoshop. I don't know if it's overheating or what, the max I've seen it go to is 57 degrees, I've also disabled the anti surge as it was happening a lot whilst that was turned on.

I do have a Hyper 212 CPU cooler waiting to be installed into the computer to replace the stock but I haven't gotten around to it yet so perhaps it might change once this has been installed, I don't know.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Josh
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2012 1:07:54 PM

its possible its many factors, i dont know im not there, but its possible u got a funk powersupply if the problems persist rma the powersupply and than if thats not the problem, well look into it ;) 
Related resources
December 14, 2012 1:09:44 PM

Thanks for your reply, but do you think that with my spec the 750W PSU can more than handle it?

Just so I know it's not doing it because it's not high enough wattage.

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2012 1:11:51 PM

yes, thats more than enought juice and that model and brand is decent for powersupply.

ur not running sli or crazy crossfire, even than 750 would be alright imo depending on what ur pairing up.

the issue here isnt the wattage, def not.

December 14, 2012 1:21:23 PM

Thank you, I'll keep monitoring it.

I did wreck a CD a month or so ago by which the DVD drive decided to shred a CD whilst it was burning, and a pop noise and various other noises occurred whilst it continued to shred it up until I turned the comp off by the mains. Since then it has been happening which I suppose I should have mentioned. I then replaced the DVD drive into the same SATA port (I think) which could be the cause in that it has messed that port up, but everything else seems to be fine so it hasn't spread anywhere else. I will keep an eye on it, It may be more the MOBO than anything else then. It's been fine for 2 days now and it's on around 16 hours a day.

I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.
a b ) Power supply
December 14, 2012 1:27:05 PM

alright cheers, keep us updated
!