Sign in with
Your question

Artifacts all over my screen when gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2012 10:26:58 PM

I have been having some problems with my PC recently and I'm kind of stuck as to what the problem is. It started off where by every so often I'd be playing a game and the graphics drivers would crash and after restarting it would be fine for a while once again (driver updates, formatting PC etc did not resolve this). Then it started blue screening in some games (usually showing some 'nv' dll being the culprit - must be to do with the nvidia drivers for my gtx 285. But now in the majority of games I play the games will lock up and then when they un-freeze, if they even do, I will have artifacts all over the screen which move all over the place. Even if you close the game they are still present on the desktop and move around the screen when you do anything gpu relate such as windows aero features. Its now got to the point where some of my games wont even run for more than a few minutes without getting artifacts all over the screen. I have tried formatting, driver updates, cleaning out dust in the case etc but nothing solves it. So I was sure that the GPU must have failed on me, so to make sure I ran a furmark burn in test and it passes it with no issues what so ever!? Yet open a game and the artifacts are back. So now I'm really confused, anyone know if this is the GPU that has failed or could something else be causing these issues? Thanks for any help and sorry for the long essay!

System specs if useful:
Dell XPS 720
Windows 7 Pro x64
GeForce GTX 285
Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850
4GB RAM
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 11:29:47 PM

artifacts are often a sign of the video card coming to the end of its life.
!