My First Build. How does it look?

lakbaydiva2205

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
This is my first build I am looking to get the most bang for my buck as well as future proofing. I am wondering if there is anything that sticks out to any of you that is wrong, or pointless. In the future instead of buying a new GPU I was thinking of do SLI. So due to wanting to do SLI eventually one thing I am unsure about is the size of my PSU I do not want to have to buy another.

I do have a friend who is going to help me out he has built one of his own, but is no master.
I do plan to OC

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also any point in having the 4gb over the 2 gb for the 670. 50.00$ difference. I do not plan on using multiple monitors now, but you never know what the future holds.

The main point of this PC for me is gaming. Games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim I would like to be able to play on high settings. other than gaming Just the normal stuff streaming videos, music, maybe some music software.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dk23

I have not bought a monitor yet, and I already have a copy of windows 7.

Solution
Some input I have.

MicroCenter is a great place to shop if you live near one, but they are horrid for online shopping, my advice is to avoid them altogether. Some of their prices seem cheap, but they tack on shipping + tax before you checkout and ends up being no cheaper than Newegg or TigerDirect which ships many items free. I don't know if MicroCenter always adds sales tax, but I've questioned whether they were illegally pocketing the money as my state does not require sales tax for online orders. You'd also think that because they charge shipping it would get there faster than the other two merchants I mentioned? Nope, slower.

Theres no real reason to get the 212 plus over the evo, yes the evo is technically a newer design, but...

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Change the case to a HAF XM, the mobo to a full ATX model, and the PSU to a Corsair TX 650. I'd also up the HDD to 2TB as games are getting fatter and drop the SSD, its pointless for a gaming setup. For the GPU, I'd get a 7950 and overclock it further simply because it has higher bandwith and RAM which you want to max out games that require more RAM for textures/shadows or graphics mods.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Why would you put a microATX board in a full tower? Definitely get an ATX board. I'd say keep the SSD, personally. It's a good upgrade and you can still play games off the data drive.

Also, drop the 212+ and get the 212 EVO.

650W should be enough to SLI two 670s in the future, but if it were me I'd err on the side of caution and get a 750W. Stick with Corsair, they're a good brand.

lakbaydiva2205

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thank you for pointing out that I had the Micro on Pcpartpicker. I do not know how I did not realize that. That is exactly why I posted on this forum. I very much appreciate it.

Is there any mother board you would recommend ??

I switched the board back to the one I chose previously :
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

I will switch to the 212 evo.

I also plan to keep the SSD I posted on the forum to get opinions, and I am glad that to hear them .

Thank you for the advice

lakbaydiva2205

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Nice setup.

I plan to keep the SSD for that exact reason.

No the closest microcenter to me is in Fairfax Virginia and is 200+ miles away.

lakbaydiva2205

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

"Definitely get an ATX board."

which type of ATX board

Steverl22

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Well damn...trying to save you a few bucks. Other then that ur set up is looking good. I myself am down to 3 parts left to buy. Memory ( my wife is buying it for me) 1TB hard drive and the GTX 670. :)

Some input I have.

MicroCenter is a great place to shop if you live near one, but they are horrid for online shopping, my advice is to avoid them altogether. Some of their prices seem cheap, but they tack on shipping + tax before you checkout and ends up being no cheaper than Newegg or TigerDirect which ships many items free. I don't know if MicroCenter always adds sales tax, but I've questioned whether they were illegally pocketing the money as my state does not require sales tax for online orders. You'd also think that because they charge shipping it would get there faster than the other two merchants I mentioned? Nope, slower.

Theres no real reason to get the 212 plus over the evo, yes the evo is technically a newer design, but every performance report I've seen shows they perform almost the same. With a 2 or 3 Celsius degree difference. Hardly worth the extra 10 bucks. But if you got the budget for it, go for it I guess.

If you want an SSD, I would suggest a Crucial M4 128GB over the OCZ Vertex, they seem to have a better track record.

As far as what ATX board, this is a nice choice to pair with your CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

It even has Tom's Hardware seal of approval.

Solution