Is it better to wait for a GTX 670?

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing parts for my new build, but the GPU I was looking at is out of stock. Here Is the list of parts I'll be going with. I already have the CPU so the video card is the only part not available. I'm set on a GTX 670, but after reading the reviews for the ASUS version and since it is out of stock, I am considering a different manufacturer. The only currently available card I was looking at from the beginning is the EVGA GTX 670 FTW. I was also considering the GIGABYTE GTX 670 which is also out of stock, but is starting to look more tempting after reading about the ASUS issues. The ASUS and GIGABYTE cards seem to offer better cooling performance, but the EVGA also doesn't look too bad with the 680 PCB and it is currently available. I might add a second card for SLI in the future so the cooling performance is important. Which card should I go with and are the custom cards worth waiting for? Is there any other good card out there that I missed? Your replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

But how does it compare to the other cards I mentioned?. Which one of them would you choose if availability didn't matter?

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Personally, I prefer EVGA solely because of their hassle free RMA service. But I also prefer dual fans....But would I suffer slightly higher temps/noise in exchange for not having to suffer through Gigabyte or Asus' RMA process? Probably. Especially if the prices are similar.

Yes I own a Gigabyte card currently, but when I bought it, it was on sale and $40 cheaper than EVGA's

if you're going to SLI, you're better off with reference model coolers that blow the hot-air out of your case. so stay away from the gigabyte 3 fan coolers etc that blow some of the hot air into your case

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

A lot of customers say that the ASUS card is not stable at stock speeds and that the RMA process is a pain.
What is the problem with SLI?

This is just a theoretical view, not practical. It doesn't have any serious impact on any hardware.
The reference design card reaches 80C while the gigabyte or the Asus max at 64-65C. This gonna make a huge difference specially in SLI.

I just edited my post cause i remembered that the reported issues regarding the ASUS DC II GTX 670 was regarding ASUS GPU tweak and some minor issues that doesn't have an impact on the performance or hardware.

According to the newegg feedback, there's no complaints. Techpowerup gave that card 10/10 I don't see anything wrong with it.
When you SLI, you'll encounter higher temps that's why I didn't talk about the EVGA FTW.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

So you're saying it's better to wait for the ASUS version?
If I do SLI it will only be at the end of the year since I'm spending most of my budget on other components, and if the temps get too high I'll definitely add a side case fan.

The primary card in the CF/SLI setup usually gets around 10C higher, so you'll end up having like 85C-76C for the EVGA FTW in SLI if you're fine with this get the EVGA, but be noted that's in case of normal load without overclocking.

I see no reason grabbing any other card but the ASUS or Gigabyte mainly for cooling.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for the help. I think I'll just get the one that comes back in stock first.

keep an eye out for other products as well. the 670 is still fairly new, and other partner companies are still coming up with new aftermarket designs, better OC designs, etc.

I have built over a dozen boxes w/ Asus DCII TOP cards.....

1. The cards run very cool.
2. SLI runs great w/o a single issue to date.
3. The cards OC to 25% over reference speeds w/o any voltage tweaks

Asus RMA was a cakewalk (fan bearing noise) compared to EVGA. My son's EVGA 295 FTW took 18 months, over 20 support calls and 5 RMA's before we got a working card.....a "stock" 480. Tech support kept blaming other components in the system but had no answer as to why it was able to run twin Asus 560 Ti's @ 1020 MHz but couldn't run the FTW at its advertised speeds in the same box.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Wow, I'll definitely keep checking the newegg page not to miss it. Thanks.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Which OC software did you use? From what I heard the ASUS GPU Tweak is pretty bad. Which utility would you recommend?

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I'm sure all of the best rated companies out there have horror stories about their RMA process.

I've RMA'd 2 cards back to EVGA, a 7900GT and my GTX 260. The 7900GT just quit working, and I noticed the fan wires got mangled on the VGA or DVI pins(rear side where it connects to the PCB) as I was removing it. Damage was my fault, I told them as much and they replaced it anyway.

I later bought a GTX 260. when it arrived, it ended up being a SC model instead of the Base model, but only ran @ x1 in my PCI-E x16 slot. After doing my own trouble shooting I called up CS and after going through my steps to trouble shoot with the Rep. he initiated my RMA and 2 days later I had my new card via EAR.

People do slip through the cracks though as seen on their forums, but usually EVGA reps will contact them and rectify the situation.

Then there is their overclocking/modding friendly warranty. No other Nvidia AIB that I know of allows you to overclock and/or replace the factory HSF without voiding your warranty.

I don't currently own an EVGA product, but I have 0 reservations on buying one.

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
This thread confused me even more. From what I understand, if I get the ASUS version it's better to install the drivers of the nvidia website and than install the MSI Afterburner without touching the ASUS installation CD. What about the other two cards? Thanks for the help.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

actually that is for any video card, you should install the latest driver from Nvidia it is not necessary to install the old version driver that comes on the CD, because sometimes you can get problems when upgrading drivers etc...

Well if you are looking into a Stock cooling GPU i would be worried about the warranty, since they should be all the same, and the one with the easiest warranty process on your country should be the one selected, but for Non-Reference cards, the ones with dual cooling and sometimes higher clocks, i would not worry about the warranty as a selecting factor, just go for the coolest and quieter of them...

MSI afterburner is used to monitor GPU condition, it is opitional. if you are into the 680 be aware that msi afterburner have some problems on that card, so you can use EVGA precision (same software with other name and visuals)...

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Just one last question before I order. Approximately what temps will I be looking at with 2 Evga FTW GTX 670's in SLI or 2 Asus DC2T GTX 670's in SLI with this setup and an extra 140mm side case fan? Maybe someone has a similar setup? Help is really appreciated. Thanks.