Phenom X4B55 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I have an Athlon II X3 455 Rana that is unlocked to a Phenom II X4 B55.
My MB is an ASROCK M3A770DE, so it does not support AM3+ CPU's. This limits my upgrades to AM3 CPU's. This being the case would it be worth it to upgrade to a Phenom X6 1100T BE (assuming I can locate one)? This the max CPU my MB can support.

Solution
As I said

I have a X2 555 so know what that chip can do unlocked and over clocked. I looked at upgrade options a while back and decided that its not worth it for the money it would cost.

Video and photo editing should see an increase but personally I would still be looking at a new system as I believe that the performance gain would not be worth the expense. Much better to get a faster newer chip.

Mactronix :)

What are you going to be doing with this computer? The problem is that AMD has stopped making AM3 CPU's like the Phenom II and Athlon II. Most of the e-stores like Newegg and Tiger Direct have long since been out of MOST Phenom II and Athlon II's. As for the 1100T question again it will depend on what you are doing. It will be good if you are doing CPU heavy work like Auto CAD but not so great for gaming.

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Yes, I am aware that the AM3 CPU's are no longer made, but it is what I currently have. I do primarily use this for gaming, but I would also like to use it for video editing, photo editing, and possible web design as well. Currently I've used Windows Movie Maker for the editing in WIN 7 and it does seem slow when converting files.

A X2 555 BE unlocks to a Phenom II X4 B55. Which is basically a Phenom II X4 955.
Seems strange that both chips unlock to the same id number.
Not saying your wrong as I looked and have seen for myself that you are right. Point is when you cant unlock an Athlon to be a Phenom, close but not the same on the cache side of things at least if not more. I'm not an expert at this by any means so if someone wants to chip in and correct me please do.

I have a X2 555 so know what that chip can do unlocked and over clocked. I looked at upgrade options a while back and decided that its not worth it for the money it would cost.
The Phenom II X4 965 is really pretty cheap at the moment and offers a slight boost but the chip I liked the look of was the Phenom II X4 960T. A 4 cored Zozma chip based on a cut down Thuban CPU, some unlock some don't but they are reported to be a better chip than a 965.

Fortunateness as said these are a discontinued line now so finding one may be pretty impossible.

So having said all that I would advise saving for a new set up even if its just a MoBo and CPU possibly memory upgrade.

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Maybe I didn't state my question correctly. I know that this CPU will work in my motherboard. What I am asking is since I was able to unlock my chip, would upgrading to the 1100t make a significant difference in performance in either games or video and photo editing?

As I said

Video and photo editing should see an increase but personally I would still be looking at a new system as I believe that the performance gain would not be worth the expense. Much better to get a faster newer chip.

Solution

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Ok, so my question was clear, my understanding wasn't ;)
Thanks, for the clarification anyway. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and save up for a new system unless I run across that chip really cheap.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I keep looking and if the 965 drops much lower I would get one just to make the computer better suited and have a longer shelf life when I pass it on and build a new rig. My family get my old rigs its like a cascade system. I'm down to the 2nd grand child now after the wife and 4 kids all getting a system and my brother. :D

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
btw, I see you overclocked yours. what kind of speeds do you get? Mine is 4 cores at 3.3 Ghz(stock speed) and I keep wanting to OC it, but that's one thing I've never had a lot of success with. I have a CM 212+ w/ dual fans so I should have some OC room. any Idea how much I should be able to get? also do you know of a good web site guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.