Sign in with
Your question

Hyper trading would help me ?

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2012 3:29:17 PM

I Here is my rig is in my signature.

I feel like that I have a high end gaming machine but infortunatly using FRAPS to reccord my gaming session just slow me down so much ing ame that I feel shouldn't cause me any trouble.

World of warcraft
Half life 2
Planet side 2

Sometimes I must even stop reccording in WoW and half life 2 despite the fact I beat 100fps without reccording. I even use the "half-size" option of fraps.

All my drivers are up to date so its not the problem.

SO I'm wondering is hyper trading would help my reccording sessions with fraps while playing ? Because I would trade this i5-3570k for an i7-3770k in a heartbeat if it allow me to play my games ate max quality while recording :-)

More about : hyper trading

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 3:43:52 PM

It is Hyper-threading! ;) 

Yes, it helps, but there is no point in swapping an i5-3570K for an i7-3770K just for the Hyper-threading.

You should be able to recording into your HDD without a problem -- it is not your CPU or lack of Hyper-threading the issue.

At what Video Capture Settings are you recording with Fraps? 60fps, 50fps, 30fps? Try it at 29.97fps

Also do not check the ´Force lossless RGB capture´, because it will slow down things. Set the sound capture to ´Stereo´, as Youtube won´t let you to upload your movies set with ´Multichannel´. You can leave it to Full-size tough.

If none of the above works, then get a SSD! :) 

Install the OS, and your main games at the SSD, then record them into the SSD. After recording you can move the large AVI files from Fraps to your HDD, it is what I do! :) 

m
l
a c 472 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 13, 2012 3:48:17 PM

"Hyper Trading"??

Sorry, this is not an investing forum or day trading forum. This is a tech forum.... And I don't think your gaming performance is affected by the frequency and volume at which you buy and sell stocks.

However, if you are talking about "Hyper Threading", then no HT will not improve your performance. Only a handful of games (literally) can make use of HT to improve performance. One of them was a space combat games which simply died soon after it was released because the game was simply terrible.

Generally speaking, HT typically decrease gaming performance by about 2%.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 6:38:31 PM

jemm said:
It is Hyper-threading! ;) 

At what Video Capture Settings are you recording with Fraps? 60fps, 50fps, 30fps? Try it at 29.97fps
If none of the above works, then get a SSD! :) 

Install the OS, and your main games at the SSD, then record them into the SSD. After recording you can move the large AVI files from Fraps to your HDD, it is what I do! :) 

I have a crucial m4 of 512gb but my OS still on my HHD till I buy another crucial m4.

I'm trying at 50fps but I,d like to be able to reccord at 60fps if possible. 29fps would probably be easy to achieve but I'd expect better FPS for when I edit to slow motion.

With the rig I do have I thought it would be easy to record several years old game at 60fps. Any idea one what should I upgrade or tweak ?

m
l
December 13, 2012 6:41:33 PM

jaguarskx said:

However, if you are talking about "Hyper Threading", then no HT will not improve your performance. Only a handful of games (literally) can make use of HT to improve performance..

I know that hyper threading do nothing for gaming, my question is tower the use of FRAPS + gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 9:09:08 PM

venur said:
I have a crucial m4 of 512gb but my OS still on my HHD till I buy another crucial m4.

I'm trying at 50fps but I,d like to be able to reccord at 60fps if possible. 29fps would probably be easy to achieve but I'd expect better FPS for when I edit to slow motion.

With the rig I do have I thought it would be easy to record several years old game at 60fps. Any idea one what should I upgrade or tweak ?

I think I missed the point here -- you said you have a " crucial m4 of 512gb", but your your OS is still on your HDD, "till you buy another crucial m4".

Why do you need to buy another SSD? And why is your OS just in your HDD?

You can install your OS in your Crucial M4 straight away! It is so simple!

Just disconnect your HDD cables (power and Sata), leaving just the SSD connected. Then go for a clean OS installation on your SSD, making sure you set it as the priority boot drive, and set it to AHCI, prior the OS installation. After the OS installation, just reconnect the HDD cables. Your SSD will be your C Drive while the HDD F Drive.

You will see that there will be still an OS on your HDD, but just leave it there, or re-format it to gain some more storage space.

After all that is done, then install your games into the SSD (C), and record them with Fraps, saving them in the SSD (C) -- after recording just move the AVI files to your HDD (F).

Try different settings while recording with Fraps, or use the ones I told you -- it will be 1080p.

Hyper-threading increase performance in games that are optimized for it, like F1 2012.

m
l
December 13, 2012 10:15:05 PM

jemm said:
I think I missed the point here -- you said you have a " crucial m4 of 512gb", but your your OS is still on your HDD, "till you buy another crucial m4".

Why do you need to buy another SSD? And why is your OS just in your HDD?

I play numerous game and 512gb is too short to hold my games alone and ILL get the other one in a week or two so instead of making space on my SSD for my OS I'll just wait to receive the new one.

So FRAPS wouldn't work bether on a i7 then it is on a i5 ? I know the gaming part wouldn't be affected but I,m wondering about fraps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 10:50:19 PM

I think Fraps would work better on an i7 than in an i5 -- depend on what i7 you´re talking about.

I run games within Fraps in my old i7 920 -- the i5 3570K run games better, but I do not know along side Fraps.

EDIT: What actually is holding your system back is the fact that the OS is in your HDD, not in the SSD. Once you have the OS and games on the SSD, things will go a lot smoothly! :) 

m
l
December 14, 2012 12:34:13 AM

jemm said:
I think Fraps would work better on an i7 than in an i5 -- depend on what i7 you´re talking about.

I run games within Fraps in my old i7 920 -- the i5 3570K run games better, but I do not know along side Fraps.

EDIT: What actually is holding your system back is the fact that the OS is in your HDD, not in the SSD. Once you have the OS and games on the SSD, things will go a lot smoothly! :) 

Is having my OS into a SSD would really make any difference ? FRAP + game + recording file are on the SSD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2012 1:06:11 AM

Yes, definitively!
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:49:04 AM

jemm said:
Yes, definitively!

well thanks I'm ordering the other SSD now, I guess the second screen will have to wait
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2012 5:38:23 PM

You´re very welcome! :) 
m
l
December 14, 2012 7:11:15 PM

I am not a FRAPS expert but I do know that FRAPS will perform better when reading from one drive and writing to another. This must be 2 different physical drives not just different partitions on the same drive.
m
l
!