Brief history of Warcraft game versions sought

Hello,

I went to the movies a few nights ago and saw a trailer for a new
Warcraft pc game that looks really good and i am interested in getting
it. What is the latest Warcraft game that this is referring to ? Is it
Warcraft III or world of warcraft or another version that has just
been released ?

I have tried to search for Wacraft on the web but i am overloaded with
hits. If someone could be kind enough to list all the versions from
when Warcraft was first released it will help me put it all in
perspective.

e.g.
Warcraft
Warcraft 1
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft etc

Thank you,
Angela

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:54:26 +1000, Angela@Singh.com wrote:

>I went to the movies a few nights ago and saw a trailer for a new
>Warcraft pc game that looks really good and i am interested in getting
>it. What is the latest Warcraft game that this is referring to ? Is it
>Warcraft III or world of warcraft or another version that has just
>been released ?

I havent seen this trailer, but I am fairly sure that it would be for
World of Warcraft, which is the newest in the Warcraft family - I
kinda doubt they would roll out the big cannons for any other warcraft
game right now.

>I have tried to search for Wacraft on the web but i am overloaded with
>hits. If someone could be kind enough to list all the versions from
>when Warcraft was first released it will help me put it all in
>perspective.
>
>e.g.
>Warcraft
>Warcraft 1 <- you mean 2 here, right? :)
>Warcraft III
>World of Warcraft etc

Yep, I think that covers it.
All except WoW are real time startegy (RTS) games, while WoW is a
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). Some (all?) of
the RTS ones have gotten expansions released for them (eg. Frozen
Throne for Warcraft 3), while WoW is still too new for that.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Thank you Simon for confirming that for me.
Yes, i meant Warcraft 2, a minor typo on my part.
I just want to play a standalone game on my own computer, not online
against lots of people - can i play the latest World of Warcraft
without having to go online ?

Thanks,
Angela

<Angela@Singh.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Simon for confirming that for me.
> Yes, i meant Warcraft 2, a minor typo on my part.
> I just want to play a standalone game on my own computer, not online
> against lots of people - can i play the latest World of Warcraft
> without having to go online ?
>
> Thanks,
> Angela
>

> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:56:23 +0200, Simon Nejmann
> <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:54:26 +1000, Angela@Singh.com wrote:
>>
>>> I went to the movies a few nights ago and saw a trailer for a new
>>> Warcraft pc game that looks really good and i am interested in
>>> getting it. What is the latest Warcraft game that this is referring
>>> to ? Is it Warcraft III or world of warcraft or another version
>>> that has just been released ?
>>
>> I havent seen this trailer, but I am fairly sure that it would be for
>> World of Warcraft, which is the newest in the Warcraft family - I
>> kinda doubt they would roll out the big cannons for any other
>> warcraft game right now.
>>
>>> I have tried to search for Wacraft on the web but i am overloaded
>>> with hits. If someone could be kind enough to list all the versions
>>> from when Warcraft was first released it will help me put it all in
>>> perspective.
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>> Warcraft
>>> Warcraft 1 <- you mean 2 here, right? :)
>>> Warcraft III
>>> World of Warcraft etc
>>
>> Yep, I think that covers it.
>> All except WoW are real time startegy (RTS) games, while WoW is a
>> Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). Some (all?) of
>> the RTS ones have gotten expansions released for them (eg. Frozen
>> Throne for Warcraft 3), while WoW is still too new for that.

nop! WoW is pure online goodness. With hundreds and thousands on top.

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138
http://www.the-suffering.co.uk

>>>I went to the movies a few nights ago and saw a trailer for a new
>>>Warcraft pc game that looks really good and i am interested in getting
>>>it. What is the latest Warcraft game that this is referring to ? Is it
>>>Warcraft III or world of warcraft or another version that has just
>>>been released ?
>>
>>I havent seen this trailer, but I am fairly sure that it would be for
>>World of Warcraft, which is the newest in the Warcraft family - I
>>kinda doubt they would roll out the big cannons for any other warcraft
>>game right now.
>>
>>>I have tried to search for Wacraft on the web but i am overloaded with
>>>hits. If someone could be kind enough to list all the versions from
>>>when Warcraft was first released it will help me put it all in
>>>perspective.
>>>
>>>e.g.
>>>Warcraft
>>>Warcraft 1 <- you mean 2 here, right? :)
>>>Warcraft III
>>>World of Warcraft etc

Don't forget Starcraft. I know it doesnt have "war" in the name, and
it doesn't follow the story line, but it squeezed in there between its
Warcraft siblings II and III. I remember seeing the original
pre-alpha graphics; it looked like Warcraft II with ugly icons. The
late-alpha wasn't much different from War II either.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 41 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:51:00 +1000, Angela@Singh.com wrote:

>Thank you Simon for confirming that for me.
>Yes, i meant Warcraft 2, a minor typo on my part.
>I just want to play a standalone game on my own computer, not online
>against lots of people - can i play the latest World of Warcraft
>without having to go online ?

No, you can only play it online.

If you have ever heard of Everquest, then think of WoW as EQ in the
Warcraft universe - if you never heard of EQ, then that made
absolutely no sence though :p
I could also mention Ultima Online, Lineage 2 and City of Heroes.

If this still leaves you completely blank you could try to read a bit
here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG - it is a bit of general
MMORPG information.

In any case, the only likeness between WoW and the previous Warcraft
RTS games is the world, story, graphics and sounds - but not in any
way the gameplay.

Btw, in WoW you don't play "online against lots of people", you play
"online with lots of people" - it is not a competition, you (can)
group and work togerther.
Unless you play on a PvP server though, where the two factions
(alliance/horde) are at war and killing each other.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Lehi wrote:

> Don't forget Starcraft. I know it doesnt have "war" in the name, and
> it doesn't follow the story line, but it squeezed in there between its
> Warcraft siblings II and III. I remember seeing the original
> pre-alpha graphics; it looked like Warcraft II with ugly icons. The
> late-alpha wasn't much different from War II either.

IMO, Starcraft is a hang of a lot better than War II (although I haven't
played much War II) as there are 3 races (more diversity) that have
hardly any equivalent units (eg Grunts vs footmen, archers vs axemen)
and is an isometric style view. It does tend to lead to mass battles
(the Unit limit is 200, although some individual units count as up to 8
units).

It doesn't do much in comparison to War III however as War III has even
better graphics, and the mass strategy does not work too well.

The game closest to WoW that Blizzard (who made the Warcraft series etc)
has made in the past is Diablo and Diablo II (RPG which can be online
multiplayer, although predominantly not).

I can't compare DII to WoW as I don't like (aka don't want to face) the
financial commitment that WoW requires, but I did find DII rather
enjoyable (but even then, I did not go online due to my shared 56k
connection I had at the time).

--
Marsh Lion
Personally, I hope the next thing to come out of Blizzard is Starcraft II