ATI 6790 won't boot

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Boot
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 8, 2012 11:44:30 PM

I'm having trouble with a brand new ATI 6790 that I was sent as a replacement for an ATI 5770 that broke down under warranty. It will not boot despite hours of trying various combinations.

Details:

- GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard (nForce 630i chipset with an onboard Nvidia Geforce 7100), BIOS version F8 from 2009. There's an F9E version out from 2010 but it's beta and I'm a little apprehensive about installing it.

- THERMALTAKE W0146 TR2 RX 450W PSU with detachable cables

- I'm connecting 2x 6pin power cables from the PSU directly to the 6790. Both power cables are clipped on securely on both ends and the 6790 is in place securely in the PCI-E slot.

- The PSU is also powering 1 SATA2 hard drive, 1 SSD, and 1 BDROM/DVD-RW.

Issue:

The computer will not boot with the 6790 plugged in. All the fans are spinning on the graphics card and the case+cpu, the hard drives start up, and the lights on the motherboard are on, but it won't even go to POST.

Nothing is displayed on the monitor (using HDMI, tried DVI too, tried leaving it unplugged too).

The computer doesn't make its usual beeps on POST. The fan on the 6790 is on high speed and doesn't slow down at all.

As soon as I remove the 6790 it boots up properly.

I removed the 6790 and added in its place an Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (PCI-e too), and it worked without changing anything else. Straight swap. The 8400 only needs 1 6pin power connector whereas the 6790 needs 2.

I played with the BIOS settings for onboard card, tried all combinations (PCI first, PEG first, onboard always on, onboard only if no ext-gpu exists), without success. It does not have an option to limit PCI-e to 1x like I noticed on another computer.

On other computers:

I tried the 6790 on 2 other machines, both lower spec'd and with smaller PSUs. It worked in both cases.

In one I had to get into the BIOS and disable the "limit PCI-e to 1x" option. When that was enabled, on boot I'd get 3 short beeps and it wouldn't continue. Disabling it got the 6790 working.

I'd love to hear any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, as I'm running out of ideas. Any help whatsoever will be appreciated.

More about : ati 6790 boot

June 9, 2012 12:08:42 AM

it not the card it the mb chipset. not all mb chipset can run all cards. if you can i try and get an older nvidia card that has the same spec as the ati card you had. if the rma people cant help i would just sell the card you have and find an older card that works in that pc.
June 9, 2012 12:19:11 AM

my 6950 does this sometimes when i move my computer around. what solves the problem for me is to remove the gpu and remove all cables connected to the motherboard. after that unplug the psu and remove the cmos battery. let it sit for 5 minutes then reassemble and see if it works.

this is exactly what my computer does sometimes and thats exactly how i fix it.
Related resources
June 9, 2012 12:46:31 AM

smorizio said:
it not the card it the mb chipset. not all mb chipset can run all cards. if you can i try and get an older nvidia card that has the same spec as the ati card you had. if the rma people cant help i would just sell the card you have and find an older card that works in that pc.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. So the nForce 630i chipset is not able to run the ATI 6790?

I tried the card on two older computers. One is on an ASUS P5K from 2007 with the Intel P35 / ICH9 chipset, and the other an Intel DG33BU with the G33 Express chipset again from 2007.

I find it difficult to believe that the more recent 630i chipset won't support the 6790, especially since it worked just fine with the 5770.

I was at first sceptical about the power supply but the 2 computers I tried it on have lower-powered PSUs.
June 9, 2012 12:48:21 AM

cbrunnem said:
my 6950 does this sometimes when i move my computer around. what solves the problem for me is to remove the gpu and remove all cables connected to the motherboard. after that unplug the psu and remove the cmos battery. let it sit for 5 minutes then reassemble and see if it works.

this is exactly what my computer does sometimes and thats exactly how i fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a shot. Though removing CMOS is just like resetting BIOS to default, and I did that already. I also unplugged everything else including drives, but I'll retry. Not very optimistic about it though.
June 23, 2012 1:19:30 PM

Following up on this, I have still not found a solution.

I cleared BIOS settings via CMOS battery removal. I progressively removed all other devices, hard drives, memory, in order to see if it will display anything. Nothing worked.

I also tried another graphics card, a Sapphire 7750 Ultimate, that does not need extra PCI-E power, but that didn't work either. It looks like it's not even getting power.

An Nvidia 9600GT worked, and the original 5770 I was using worked fine until its fan gave out, otherwise I'd be convinced that the PCI-E slot itself is fried.

My motherboard should be compatible with these graphics cards even though it's just PCI-E x16 1.0 instead of 3.0 or 2.1, and my power supply seems enough (Seasonic 450W). In fact I tried the 6790 at a much worse power supply where it worked fine.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance
June 23, 2012 5:34:53 PM

nexxer said:
Following up on this, I have still not found a solution.

I cleared BIOS settings via CMOS battery removal. I progressively removed all other devices, hard drives, memory, in order to see if it will display anything. Nothing worked.

I also tried another graphics card, a Sapphire 7750 Ultimate, that does not need extra PCI-E power, but that didn't work either. It looks like it's not even getting power.

An Nvidia 9600GT worked, and the original 5770 I was using worked fine until its fan gave out, otherwise I'd be convinced that the PCI-E slot itself is fried.

My motherboard should be compatible with these graphics cards even though it's just PCI-E x16 1.0 instead of 3.0 or 2.1, and my power supply seems enough (Seasonic 450W). In fact I tried the 6790 at a much worse power supply where it worked fine.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance

try it on someone elses computer. idk if those cards are backwards compatible meaning thats a pci 2.1 card but your board is a 1.1.... that could be your problem.
June 23, 2012 5:40:53 PM

cbrunnem said:
try it on someone elses computer. idk if those cards are backwards compatible meaning thats a pci 2.1 card but your board is a 1.1.... that could be your problem.

Thanks for your input. I've tried the card on a computer with an older ASUS P5K motherboard and it works just fine. Besides, PCI-E is supposed to be backwards compatible, with newer implementations simply offering more bandwidth to the device.

Frankly I'm stumped as to why it won't work on this one. And I know that the PCI slot is operational because I got an Nvidia 9600GT to work with it.