Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

My friend has an i5 3570K and recently decided he could go up to 4.4GHZ on it with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Cooler.

On League of Legends, he had been playing it without any problems at all and then decided to run a Prime95 burn test. Temps were maxing at about 60C for 10 minutes, then he ended the test.

However, after this test he decided to go back on League of Legends, and in his words: "I got a black flash every time I clicked on the window. Have noticed the rest of my system has slowed down too."

So what's up? We both agree that 60C for 10 minutes should have no effect on the i5's performance so we're completely stumped as to why this has happened.

Any Suggestions?

Best Regards
Luke

60 degree's under extreme load is not bad. Prime 95 is an absolute extreme no program will stress an I5 100%. It sounds like it was overheating but at 60 degree's it should not go into thermal shut down. Have you checked to make sure the fan/heatsink is on right and is seated right? Also did you apply thermal paste before mounting the heatsink?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
The thing is, I helped him to build the PC as follows: I5-3570K @ 4.4GHZ - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RAM - KFA2 GTX660 2GB - Intel 180GB SSD - Corsair 650W PSU - GIGABYTE Z77 DS3H Motherboard. We only build it 2 weeks ago! And yes, I applied Arctic MX4 onto the heatsink - something I've done many times.

InvalidError

Titan

Even 80C core temperature 24/7 should have little to no detrimental effect on Ivy Bridge.

If dialing back the OC to 4.2GHz and rebooting the PC does not fix it, it is possible that your 4.4GHz experiment corrupted some OS files and a re-install will be necessary to fix it.

I tried overclocking my old Core2Duo from 3GHz to 3.6GHz twice, just for fun and curiosity's sake. Both times, everything seemed fine according to memtest86 and prime95 but after a few hours of normal use, random errors started cropping up and rebooting the PC ended up with Windows spewing out lists of corrupted OS files during boot. That PC still works perfectly fine at stock clock after OS re-install.

Didn't feel like risking wasting days re-installing my OS and other software on my new PC on an OCing whim again so I decided to get an i5-3470 and h77 board to make sure it simply cannot happen. A mere 20% boost is not worth anywhere near this much trouble to me.

sapphireman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Howdy,

Sorry if this is something you're already aware of, just thought I'd drop it in because I didn't see it anywhere else in the post. Are you sure you've OC the CPU correctly? Sounds like you know what you're doing, and certainly not that I do but I recently upgraded to the 2500k and went though the process of OC and learned A LOT. Several times I had issues (although not exactly like yours) that weren't resolves until I dug a little deeper and enabled this or disabled that. I've got my 2500k up to 4.5 now, doesn't go above 57ºC or so after hours of p95. Never crashes or gives any sort of errors now.

... Just a though, gl!

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Why would you put the thermal paste on the heatsink? Bad choice - the center of the CPU, a tiny, thin strip - that does the best for heat transfer. As for the slow down, did he make sure he stopped P95 right? First time I ran it, I closed it wrong so it kept running in the background.

very good point about p95, I'm assuming there has been a reboot, but worth checking

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

Very late, but I mistyped. The TIM did get applied straight onto the CPU.