Your question

Constant Issues With Crashes, New Installation W7, Even Worse

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2012 12:17:15 AM

Specs:

HD 6970
6GB DDR3
i7 930

As the title states. I've been having intermediate issues with my graphics card when it comes to driver crashes and the occasional vertical line crashes. The reason all this started up again was that i started playing Max Payne 3, i played it for a good 3 hours and went to bed. I woke up in the morning, watched a few videos and started playing again and almost 4 minutes in it crashed. I did absolutely nothing to my system, went to bed, woke up, started playing. I decided to update my drivers, the issues got worse and now all my games started crashing such as TF2. I went and down graded my drivers and that did nothing, tried various OC methods to try and force it to work, didn't work either.

I made a log of my temps several times, the max it got up to was 71c most of the time around 68c so it can't be a temp issue.
My CPU is not over heating as well, around 40-50 some C if i remember correctly. I'm not to familiar with voltages and weather or not they are high enough or not.

Now i can make it crash all the time with portal 2. I start up a map, it takes around 30 seconds for it to start artifact then 15 seconds or so later it vertical line crashes.

I'm lost, i don't know what to do!

EDIT:

So for shits and giggles i switched to a different PCI-E port and it made me re-install the drivers oddly enough. Though this did change something. The full proof way i had to make sure it crashed was to start up portal and wait a minute and it would start artifacting and crashing, though this time the graphics drivers crashed about 4 minutes in and put me back to desktop. So i decided to start up GW2, i played it for a good 20 minutes until i got the vertical line crash. Hopefully this helps.
June 9, 2012 1:12:37 AM

I would try RMA on the card, artifacting is a GPU or PCIe issue.
June 9, 2012 1:19:20 AM

rolli59 said:
I would try RMA on the card, artifacting is a GPU or PCIe issue.

Even when i switched PCI-E ports the Artifacting stopped it just pure out crashed.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 9, 2012 1:22:01 AM

surfur said:
Even when i switched PCI-E ports the Artifacting stopped it just pure out crashed.

And what happens when it goes back, artifacting and/or crashing?
June 9, 2012 1:23:23 AM

rolli59 said:
And what happens when it goes back, artifacting and/or crashing?

let me switch back to the old port and see what happens.

EDIT

Ok so i switched back and im no longer having artifact crashes. I was able to play Portal 2 for around 10 minutes before my graphics drivers crashed. Im back to the same problems i had before re-installing windows. What else could be wrong then, if my drivers are still crashing even though with a complete clean install of windows could it be the drivers? I've tried 12.2 12.3 and 12.4 before i re installed windows and it was around the same results.
June 9, 2012 1:42:27 AM

if you can post the wattage and brand of your power supply and ram that might help up. you could have a stick of bad ram as the system is stresses the ram or power supply may not be keeping up....called ac ripple in a power supply..the mb may have set the ram..speed or timing or voltage wrong. try cpu-z and see what the spd info of your ram is and see if the mb read it right.
check that there no bios updates for the mb..
June 9, 2012 1:48:58 AM

smorizio said:
if you can post the wattage and brand of your power supply and ram that might help up. you could have a stick of bad ram as the system is stresses the ram or power supply may not be keeping up....called ac ripple in a power supply..the mb may have set the ram..speed or timing or voltage wrong. try cpu-z and see what the spd info of your ram is and see if the mb read it right.
check that there no bios updates for the mb..

Xclio 680 Watt PSU. 6GB DDR3 G.Skill

I'm not sure what to post with the frequency but...

JEDEC #2 - 518mhz 1.50v
JEDEC #3 - 592mhz 1.50v
JEDEC #4 - 666mhz 1.50v
XMP-2000 - 1000mhz 1.600v

Going to go check MB now as well as bios update.
June 9, 2012 1:49:16 AM

It could be a few different things. I have had close to the same problem as you with a few different causes. Some are because of bad RAM, some are because of bad power supplies, others are because of Wndows files and such.

What is the model of your power supply?
June 9, 2012 1:58:47 AM

rolli59 said:
Try running memtest on the ram http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Im running the Mem test that is on the Win7 disk if that's fine. Though im running to the movies here in a minute so i'll be back in a bit, thanks for all the reply's guys! hopefully i'll come back with some better news.
June 9, 2012 2:00:27 AM

That memtest does not compare.
June 9, 2012 2:04:28 PM

Ok so. I did the proper Mem Check and everything passed. I updated my Mobo Bios and neither of those fixed the issue. I don't know what to look for when it comes to Ram voltage and weather it's correct or not.
June 9, 2012 2:12:40 PM

You did several passes with memtest? Any way I think it might be card related and you should try RMA, if you can try the card in a different computer we would know for sure.
June 9, 2012 3:01:04 PM

Yea im almost to the point of RMAing it. I took some memory from my room mates computer and plugged it in, that didn't work either, crashed in the same fashion. It coulden't be the power supply, at least i don't think because it stalls out and i have to manually re boot it. Is there anything i can do to the card itself to make sure that it is hardware and not some wrong voltage going to the card or it's OC'd on its own terms or something?
June 9, 2012 4:20:45 PM

So i set up a inherently GPU intensive scene in UDK and watched the GPU stats. i belive it is over heating afterall. the card would reach up to 78-80c then the drivers would crash, this time i waited instead of turning it off, and if i waited long enough the drivers would pop back on and the GPU would be back to normal. I thought 80c was high but not that high to make this happen. I did do a test where i held down the heat sink against the platter and watched as the temperature plummeted down to 68c from 79c

well i under clocked it and that seems to keep it around 70c without any issues. I think i'm still going to RMA it though, at least i can do my homework now and i know what's wrong with it. I can't believe i didn't see it before, definitly human error.
June 9, 2012 4:24:32 PM

80°C is fine for a GPU on load but that looks like it is temp related to your card and it is not able to run past 80 which it should, RMA.
!