fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012
so when i play games my gpu usage goes down when there is more stuff going on like lots of shooting and ai in arma 2 when i woudl think it needs to be higher to use its full potential and wen there is less stuff going on the gpu usage is higher so im thinking its like opposite when i need more gpu usage i get less and when i dont need much it uses more

amd athlon II x4 630 2.8ghz
geforce gtx 560
4gb ram
windows 7

you seem to pay a lot for your psu and skimped out on the rest of the computer o_O. what i would do is monitor the gpu usage using a program both at idle and when gaming. there can be many odd happenings. if temperatures get to hot, then the gpu/cpu will throttle itself. theres the other chance that what your playing can possibly be bottlenecked by your cpu.

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012
the gpu at idle is about 38 and when gaming 78 and the cpu is 27 when idle
all the temperature are fine i dont see whats wrong the gpu just never gets to 99% and im thinking if it did i would get atleast 15 more fps and when im in them enus of games it goes up to 90 and in game its like 40 50 60 maybe 70

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012

if its bottleneck i was thinking about getting an amd phenom II x4 980 would that stop the bottleneck

are you using the nvidia control panel or msi afterburner and setting your video card to performance mode?? there are a few setting like power management in the nvidia and msi tool box. that you can set so you video card will not down clock. I have the 550ti and if you want max performance it under manage 3d settings...set it to max performance. and see if the card stops clocking down.

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012

i see i had the performance mode in adaptive i changed it to maximum performance and it was on multiple display perfomance mode and i changed it to single display could that have been the problem

Doesn't really seem like a downclocking issue, since his card isn't going above 50% then its more then likely a cpu bottleneck.

I am using an athlon 2 x3 + 6870, I don't however have batman arkham city. Though in BF3 even on low my fps don't go above 48 exactly and my cpu is pegged at 99% gpu at 40-80% I can change whatever settings I like and get the same fps up to high settings (its a cpu bottleneck)

if similar happens to you its most likely the same issue.

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012

sounds exactly like me i change all the video settings and the fps never changes and my cpu usage is always very high and my gpu usuage is only high on menus which i understand now because in the menus your cpu is not using much power so your gpu uses alot and when i look at the ground my gpu usage increases i guesss because its not looking at all the ai and vehicles and buildings that the cpu does

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012

also if i get the amd phenom II x4 980 3.7ghz will that stop the bottleneck because that is the best cpu my motherboard can handle

fighterpilot56

Honorable
May 25, 2012
yes thanks everyone know i definetly know it cpu bottleneck because putting settings on very minimal barely changes fps if at all the question now is what is the best amd cpu i can get to stop the bottleneck and only amd my motherboard only supports amd

It would help a bit but its not really worth the price/performance over what you have now.

I would wait until you get more money and upgrade to an i5/i3