Sign in with
Your question

Can I Use the sempron without a heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2012 4:41:16 PM

Can I Use the sempron 145 without a heatsink. only for a few minutes to flash my bios for my fx 8350. it would be easier than installing the sempon and heatsink only to take both out. im sure its okay. :??: 

More about : sempron heatsink

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 4:49:20 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IT WILL LAST SECONDS ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 13, 2012 4:51:35 PM

I won't claim to be an end all expert on this, but I do believe that a CPU can fry itself within seconds if there's not something bleeding excess heat off of it. If you're willing to risk permanent and irreparable damage to the Sempron, I'm sure plenty of us would be interested in the outcome. Otherwise, the few minutes it would take to affix the heatsink could be viewed as an investment of sorts. A few minutes affixing the heatsink vs however much it would cost to replace the CPU if it burned out.
Related resources
December 13, 2012 4:55:59 PM

it'd cost about 25 pound. but im not risking it. thanks, however i dont really know how to seperate the thermal compound from the heatsink and processor, (to take it off) some people say use a hair dryer and some say put the pc on full load. what should i do?
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 4:56:54 PM

Hi :) 

We have seen a LOT of customers who built their own machines and some didn't even realise they NEEDED a heatsink/fan... (i kid you not)

Around half of them got away with just blowing the cpu... the other half MELTED the motherboard around the socket...

So if you risk doing this be prepared to buy a NEW motherboard as well...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 4:58:41 PM

Flomps said:
it'd cost about 25 pound. but im not risking it. thanks, however i dont really know how to seperate the thermal compound from the heatsink and processor, (to take it off) some people say use a hair dryer and some say put the pc on full load. what should i do?

The way we do it in my shops is...a VERY narrow flat blade screwdriver between the edges of cpu and heatsink and TWIST very gently...this will normally break the seal...

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 8:31:06 PM

Hi

with old Intel cpu's before socket 775 (core 2 duo and last Pentium 4 models)
such as Pentiium 3 & 4 (when cpu has the pins) it was easy to pull cpu out of socket, still stuck to the heat sink.

With modern Intel cpu's the cpu is held firmly in place.

If you unclip the heatsink and twist slightly it usually breaks the bond with the cpu.

If you are only using Sempron to flash bios before putting a more powerful AMD cpu in it will not have enough time to bond the cpu to heat sink unless you use an adhesive.

Some motherboard will not start up if cpu fan not detected but you can not guarantee this will work to save cpu

regard
Mike Barnes
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 9:11:18 PM

Leave the CPU on the motherboard and run it doing some lite gaming that should heat up the thermal paste. Then release the clips on the heatsink and fan but don't open the zip release bar and see if the heatsink will pop off. If not then use a fine blade like Brett recommends, I hear he drives a Mercedes so he can't be wrong. ;^D
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2012 10:00:11 PM

littleleo said:
Leave the CPU on the motherboard and run it doing some lite gaming that should heat up the thermal paste. Then release the clips on the heatsink and fan but don't open the zip release bar and see if the heatsink will pop off. If not then use a fine blade like Brett recommends, I hear he drives a Mercedes so he can't be wrong. ;^D

AGGGHHHH a Merc...noooo thats an old mans car lol..

REAL men drive a Porsche :) 

!