Will PAY for help! Adding a GPU Fan to a Fanless Video Card?? HELP!

davecom

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
My video card is over heating badly, there is no room to add any fans, its a HTPC which I'm using as a gaming desktop.

GPU:

MSI RADEON R5450-MD1GH - LOW PROFILE

No room for fans.. the only way I can add a fan is popping off the heatsink and adding a new fan on it.. if so is this possible? Am I the only person on the planet ever to do this (cant find ANY resources on this) and how would i determine what fan would fit? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you

Can I pop off the heat sink and add a fan? If so what kind? How screwed am I>

at the minimum if you CANNOT fit a fan at all is to try to move cables around with cable management so that air can freely flow through the case. another thing you ca do is apply thermal paste on any hot object to spread the heat on the heatsink. normally i would probably link to this but you already stated you cannot fit another fan

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

leave your heatsink on if you can put a fan on top of the card, as in blowing down thru the heatsink towards the pci-e slots, u may have to get a little arildite or superglue to the heatsink to hold the fan in place if there isnt a tv tuner or sound card to balance it on. worked a treat in my htpc. clean up any cable clutter so the case fans can do there job too

there's good reason people don't do it... theoretically speaking, I'm 99% sure you'll get WORSE temperatures if you succeed. why? Air is a HORRIBLE medium for heat transfer. the heat sink is there to help the heat from your GPU spread to a much larger surface area so that air cooling can do it's job. without a heat sink, chances are you can point a 10 feet box fan at your GPU and it may still overheat

^+1. and if there's room, you can try to squeeze in a fan blowing at the heat-sink parallel to your graphics card. try to fix it with some zip-ties or something