Will Antec EarthWatts 500W do for me?

mdadney

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Mobo: Asus m5a99x EVO
RAM: 2 x 2gb Corsair DDR3 240-pin PC3 - 10600 CL9 1.5V
PSU: Anted EW 500W Continuous

I put my build all together and turned it on, (minus the GPU,) and I noticed the standby power light on the motherboard was blinking. After taking it all out and trying various things, the light came on and stayed on. When I got it all back in the case, it started blinking again.

The last time it came on and stayed on, the cpu was in, the heat sink fan was plugged in, the 4-pin cpu power was plugged in, and both sticks of RAM were in, (and of course the 24-pin mobo power was in.)

I thought at first it was the RAM, because it's not on the compatible list, but then it worked with the RAM in. So is it more likely to be the psu having a problem, the mobo having a problem, or something else completely?

Solution
Your ram may not be seated all the way in. If your board is old, it may require a bios update to run your cpu. One of your cables to the drives may be loose. Reseat the ram, disconnect all the optical and hardrive cables, check your video port connection to the monitor, and try posting again. good luck.
Your ram may not be seated all the way in. If your board is old, it may require a bios update to run your cpu. One of your cables to the drives may be loose. Reseat the ram, disconnect all the optical and hardrive cables, check your video port connection to the monitor, and try posting again. good luck.

Solution

mdadney

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Thanks for your help. After reading your comment, I decided to just strip it all down and start over to make sure I had EVERYTHING plugged in and seated correctly and securely. I believe the problem is with either the power supply or the cord to the power supply. When I turn the switch on, the sb pwr led flashes, but when I push on the plug into the back of the power supply pretty hard, the light turns solid and stays that way, and I was able to get power to all fans and components.