In the middle of building, have a few questions

SheepPunk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
On my mobo (Asus P8Z77-V) there are 3 usb ports and my case has only 2 usb connectors. Which ones do I plug them into? There's 1314 1112 and 910.

I also have absolutely no idea where the usb 3.0 plug goes and my case(Graphite 600t) has a full usb 3.0 plug.

and where do I connect my asus wifi go card?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I have the same MB as you, or at least one version. Remember that each USB header on the MB is good for two USB ports.

So, the WiFi GO card goes in the area of your I/O ports, just above the VGA and HDMI outputs and below the USB ports. You MUST put this on before putting the motherboard in the case, as you need access to the rear of the MB. Refer to the WiFi GO manual that came with the MB.

As far as the USB ports, the ones along the bottom of the MB - on the side where you plug your case power button and LEDs in - are the 2.0 slots. The USB 3.0 plug is right next to the 20-pin power connector, just beneath the DIMM slots.

BTW I'm looking at pages 2-2 and 2-3 in the P8Z77-V Users Guide for this info. There's a lot of good stuff in there - the only thing that won't be covered is the WiFiGo card, which like I said should have come with its own instructions in the small package it was sealed in.

As far as the other USB connectors, if your case has USB 2.0 ports as well, it doesn't matter which of the four spaces you use - they're all identical. And yes, there are four - three to one side of the BIOS flashback button and one to the other side.

Hope that helps!

SheepPunk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
thanks that helped a lot! I have one more question, I have one 7200 rpm hdd (wd caviar black) and im wondering which 6gb sata slot does it go into. plus i don't know which sata slot my asus DRW-24B1ST goes into. could someone please help?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
It doesn't matter. You have 4 SATA III (6/Gbps) slots on the MB and they all work exactly the same.

You're overthinking it - really, any of the ports will work. Hell, it would even work if you put it into the 3/Gbps port, just more slowly.

Personally I chose which SATA ports (I have four SATA devices - a DVD drive, SSD, and two spinner drives) based on which ones were best for cable management.

Edit - I will add that I plugged my DVD drive into a 3Gbps slot, but that was only because at the time of the build I only had two SATA III cables and they were both used already. Just plug everything into whichever SATA III port you prefer, it'll work fine.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
What do you mean it doesn't have a USB connector? Like, there's no cable leading from the case's USB ports to the USB headers on the MB?

You don't have to plug in any of the USB ports if you don't want to, and you don't need to plug them into any specific header. I currently use exactly one of the USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard, and I picked it completely at random (well, not exactly - I picked it because it was best for cable management). The other four headers (3 x 2.0, 1 x 3.0) are unused. This is not an issue for the computer.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Oh, and remember that like I said each USB header on the MB is used for two USB ports on the case. So if your case has only 2 x 3.0 ports, then all you need to do is plug the single USB cable from your case into the USB 3.0 header.

SheepPunk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Like instead of a connector it has the thing you plug into a usb 3.0 slot. like the thing I have if there's a usb 3.0 device it has the thing that i use to plug it into the slot

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Ah, ok. I did a bit of research and apparently this case was designed so that the "proper" way to install the USB 3.0 ports is to route the long USB cable to one of the MB's rear USB 3.0 ports.

This seems silly to me. Just buy one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12740/cpa-570/********_UC-01_USB30_to_20-Pin_Converter_UC-01.html

Hook that up to your MB USB 3.0 header and plug the cable into one of the ports. Then you'll have everything internal and won't need to worry.

Alternatively, I suppose you could just route it the way they seem to want and plug it into a rear USB 3.0 slot.

Ha! I hope that was helpful. Sorry, I've never heard of a case designed that way. Hope I was of some help.

SheepPunk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
my motherboard turns on (green light is on) but nothing else turns on. the disk drive is off, i tried unplugging the graphics card, yet still nothing. I double checked that everything was plugged aswell. Any idea what the problem could be?

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

What do you mean when you say the disk drive is off? If you don't have a hard drive, I don't believe it will boot.