Sign in with
Your question

No display from HD 5770 after reconnecting PSU.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2012 3:33:10 AM

Hello,

I think I may have unwittingly messed up my video card.

I was replacing a motherboard on an older computer but couldn't get the onboard graphics card to give me an video. I wasn't sure what was wrong with it but I decided to try seeing if maybe the PSU (which I was salvaging from the previous setup) was causing the problems.

So, in my laziness, I brought over my working computer with the HD 5770 and disconnected the main power cord from the motherboard and connected it to the faulty computer's motherboard in an attempt to do a quick check to see if it'd work. I did not, however, disconnect the power to any of the components in the HD 5770 computer, just the motherboard's power. This means that the PSU was connected to everything in the HD 5770 computer except for the motherboard when I powered the PSU up. It didn't work and so I connected it back to my HD 5770's motherboard and now I'm not getting any display on this one either.

I tried resetting bios, updating my bios, reseating the card in multiple slots, reseating my RAM, and reconnecting the power cords. Nothing seems to be working. All of the fans power up fine including the HD 5770 but I get no video from any of the outputs. I had an old Geforce 8800 GTS lying around and it works fine when I hook it up to the motherboard but when I try it with my HD 5770, I don't get any display.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions/help?

Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Board: ASRock P55 Extreme: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you.
a c 1151 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 3:52:44 AM

Well if the other card works fine the problem looks to be the HD5770.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 4:51:40 AM

8800 GTS did id need the external power 6 pin?

if it use 6 pin power than the 5770 is the problem.
if it don't use 6 pin then the PSU is the problem

m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 4:56:32 AM

rdc85 said:
8800 GTS did id need the external power 6 pin?

if it use 6 pin power than the 5770 is the problem.
if it don't use 6 pin then the PSU is the problem

The 8800 GTS does use a 6 pin PCIe connection.

I used the same cord for both the 8800 GTS and the HD 5770. They both power on and the cord seems to work fine except I only get video from the 8800 GTS.
m
l
a c 1151 V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 2:15:08 PM

So again the problem is the HD5770, can you try it in another computer?
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:58:49 PM

Yeah, that seems to be it.

Unfortunately my computer is the only one with the proper slots to test it in so I don't have any way to try it on another one. I could try taking it in to the local pc shop on Monday though. I already sent a support ticket in to XFX about the issue but it would be good to confirm things there before mailing it off
m
l
!